Using my BMR as my calorie baseline?

Options
So I am new to MFP but not new to tracking. I am cutting, but also trying to preserve as much lean mass as I can. Initially MFP set me at 1200 calories a day as my calorie allowance, however that is much too low considering my BMR is 1600. I see that as I add exercise it allows me more calories, which I really like considering I work out more on some days than others and it gives me a better idea of how much energy is going in vs. energy going out. However, on off days, I really do not like the idea of eating less calories than my BMR, as I’ve read that that’s not very healthy to do. So I was thinking I’d make my baseline my BMR. Thoughts?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you 1200 on the dot, odds are you weekly goal is too aggressive for your stats. How much do you have to lose and what did you set your rate of loss at?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and how much weight are you trying to lose?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I agree its never a good idea to eat below BMR. How much do you need to lose?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    How do you know your BMR?

I would hazard a guess that OP has used an online calculator for BMR.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. You say you're not new to logging - do you have a sense of how many cals you need to maintain your weight? To lose? If so, then you're WAY ahead of the curve and can probably skip most of MFP's recommendations.

MFP simply does the math based on how you setup your profile - it's up to you to do a sanity check and make sure the numbers it gives you are reasonable. Sounds like that's exactly what you're doing. Good job.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that you are active and should consume your NEAT, with a reasonable discount for your cut of 250 or 500 calories per day.