Shin splints

Options
Sooo I started running and I’ve developed shin splints and they are killing me! I can’t even walk I’ve been taking Ibuprofen but I just want to get back to running already! Is there anything else I can do for this? I know they go away by themselves but I don’t want to wait to run anymore.

Replies

• rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Taping can help, but you need to stay off running until you're healed.
    Replace the activity with something low impact, swim, bike...
  • bribbyx74
    bribbyx74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks I think I’ll try biking!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Foam Roll
    Prayer stretch(kneel, toes back and lean back gently
  • bribbyx74
    bribbyx74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I’ll try anything to get this to go away!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do reverse calf raises i.e this kind
    https://www.freetrainers.com/exercise/exercise/reverse_calf_raises/

They strengthened my shin muscles and helped keep shin splints at bay. Unfortunately for my the splints kept coming back unless I did mostly trail running which is hard on the winter so I switched to walking and spinning for cardio.

Also you didn't mention the surface you run on but if you typically run on treadmill or sidewalks you can switch to a track or trail.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you got them in the first place?

I had shin splints last year and it took going to a running store, having a gait analysis done and buying different shoes with different support.

I've put ~500km on those and I can tell it's time to retire them as my shins are starting to hurt a little when I use them on the treadmill. So breaking in their replacements.
  • AlexR117
    AlexR117 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got them the first time I went for a run about 2 weeks ago. They're just dying off now and it's been bugging me so much. But I also hate exercising alone. Wish I had a gym buddy in Bristol!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It helps to start slow. The Couch to 5k program is excellent at gradually building up your running speed and distance.

Second vote for good shoes and stretching too.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Be sure to rest and give them time to heal! I was stubborn about it and kept running on them despite the pain (ironically the only time they DIDN’T hurt was during running)...and developed hairline fractures along my tibia as a result =/ Those were quite painful and I had to take a major break from running! I’ve started back with the C25K program and 7 weeks in I’m still holding up with no issues. Get good shoes, don’t neglect your before/after stretching, and use a roller! Best of luck to you!
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get shin splints I know it's time for new running shoes. Are you running in old or poor quality shoes?