Anybody else hate exercising alone?

Options
AlexR117
AlexR117 Posts: 10 Member
It's a big issue I think and it's stopping me doing anything major. I feel like it would be a lot more doable if I had someone to exercise with!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Be self reliant!

Studies show that what you are feeling is very common. However, the best way to find a buddy is to get out and do what you enjoy. If you like running, look for a group. Have you considered dance classes? Around here, there are body weight groups that meet in the park...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope, I run on my own 99% of the time.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I cherish my alone time.
  • RaevnW6
    RaevnW6 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm awake.

In truth, my motivation is strictly for my own weight loss so being alone kinda supports that. It's also a good time to relax my brain and just go - a form of running mediation if you will.

Sadly, the last time I ran with a friend, I couldn't shut up long enough to ask how he was doing. It might have been exercise but I didn't really feel like it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    No. I like being answerable to only myself. My main activity is running, and unless I'm in a race I run alone. I love it. I thought about joining a running group, but I'm an introvert and I prefer my own company.

The husband and I belong to the same gym chain and we tend to visit different gyms in the chain. I prefer cardio, he lifts so we have different needs. On the rare occasions we go to a gym together, we don't exercise together and we both hate the feeling that one of us will be finished first and will be waiting for the other.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    for most of my life I worked out alone - its unusual to find someone that committed - but I began working out w a friend from work - who I though was committed - it lasted a couple months and shes gone. it is hard to go back to working out alone - even in this short of a time...but I AM.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Are you looking for company because you don't like the activity? IF so, would a different activity help?

Personally, more people is never the answer. To Anything. Ever.
    omg this is so true. TO ANYTHING,. EVER.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to do my own thing, and go alone. I actually really don't like going with others.
  • zydeco69
    zydeco69 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love having a buddy and it helps me big time. The time goes much faster. Invite someone to walk with you...I find that is the easiest to find someone to do with you. If you ask someone to go to the gym...I feel they don't. I guess too much commitment...but walking is easier. Good Luck! :smile:
  • Alimacbean
    Alimacbean Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't mind working out alone, but I need someone to motivate me to actually work out. But I also find that because I'm so competitive, working out along with someone make me work harder.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I hate it, but I prefer group fitness classes.
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't mind working out with someone but I'd rather do it alone since I like to work on my own time and zone out to my music.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I like doing my own thing. Too many times in the past I have invited someone along and they end up wanting to change everything about my activity. So no more, I just take my iPod and go alone.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Nope, love working out alone. There's usually always someone at the gym to give me a spot if I need it.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nope, lol. I prefer to exercise alone. You can belt out your favorite song or trip without anyone knowing. :#;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I like both...just kinda depends. I like lifting on my own. I enjoy both solo rides and just getting away from everything, but I also like getting together with my riding group on weekends and doing a group ride. I do not particularly like group classes except for spin which I don't do much of anymore since I changed gyms a few years ago.

When you say anything "major", what does that mean? Also, exercise can be a lot of things...most of my exercise is hobby and recreational activity as much as it is exercise...I mostly cycle...do some top rope rock climbing, hike in the mountains, etc.

The only deliberate "this is a workout" that I do is lift a couple times per week and I guess when I'm training for a cycling event and I have to be a lot more rigid in my training approach.