Achy because of no exercise or low protein?

Options
So, I've run out of food this week including my protein shake (which lasted me awhile, thank God!). I worked out Friday and only had like, 1/2 serving of protein shake so I decided since I was doing lower-impact work, I'd save the last bit for Sunday when I lifted weights. Well, Sunday came and I was sooo sore, working out. I pushed through and was fine but didn't end up getting to use the last bit of the protein shake because of a silly mistake. So, no protein shake after 2 work outs. I thought I'd be fine... it's not like I've always been dependent on it. I've only been using it for about 2 months or so.

After that, I decided since I'm running out of food it would be best to just not work out until I can go grocery shopping and get my protein shake because I can barely make 1400 calories (my base) with the food I have now. But then last night, I got this sharp twinge in my lower back and it hurt really badly when I walked. I lay in bed after that because I was afraid to walk. It's still kind of stiff this morning and my arms feel really lazy.

Do you think this is because I didn't use the protein after I worked out twice? Or could be that my body wants more exercise? My boyfriend suggested it's because I haven't been drinking a lot the last couple days. I only made it to 8 cups the last 2 days.

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that answer to this, sorry
    I am curious about protein shakes though, what kind? How many calories in each shake? What's best to mix them with? and on and on LOL
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    You really should be at least going for a walk or something... you'll have acid build up in your muscles if you work out and then do nothing. I'm always really sore if I do a long run then do nothing at all the next couple days. Hope that helps... feel better:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I didn't know that. :( I thought about walking, but then that's at least 200 calories I have to eat and I don't have the food.

missouri_rain - I use Pure Protein from Target. It's 130 calories, only 2g of sugar, and 25g protein. It's whey protein which is good for repairing your muscles after a work out. I use 2% or skim milk but will be adding fruits soon just for flavor.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me, I think I need more protein in my diet.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I don't think a few days off exercise or protein shakes will do it. Lack of water seems more likely, especially in combination with the heat.

Do you have any chocolate milk? That's the best thing to take after a workout to minimize soreness.
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    Not sure that I have any answers for ya! I'm always very sore after weight training if I haven't worked on those muscles in a while. It could be a combination of all three things. I would imagine that the protein does help considerably, that's why they recommend it so much?
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm sore when I dont workout. I've been doing Chalean Extreme, Turbo Jam Fat blaster and walking, Mon-Fri then Sat and Sun have been my rest days. I've been sore almost every weekend from not working out. The second I do I dont feel sore.