More carbs?

Hi!
So I know you really only need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, but if you are lower on protein (plant based naturally includes a bit more carbs) and higher on carbs, will you not preserve muscle mass as easily?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you're not getting sufficient protein, you will lose muscle mass. This doesn't mean it's inevitable for those who are on a plant-based diet -- you can simply plan a diet that includes sufficient protein.
  • alexxazt
    alexxazt Posts: 23 Member
    If you're not getting sufficient protein, you will lose muscle mass. This doesn't mean it's inevitable for those who are on a plant-based diet -- you can simply plan a diet that includes sufficient protein.

So if you are resistance training but still not getting enough protein, it won’t really help repair?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »

So if you are resistance training but still not getting enough protein, it won’t really help repair?

It won't be as optimal and you won't preserve as much as if you were getting enough.
  • janejellyroll

Exactly. You need a certain amount of protein to retain your existing muscle. If you want to add muscle, you'll need even more than that.

Fortunately we've got tons of plant foods with protein (I'm assuming you're asking this question because you yourself are plant-based, if not, I apologize for the assumption) so we can eat those.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Exactly. You need a certain amount of protein to retain your existing muscle. If you want to add muscle, you'll need even more than that.

Fortunately we've got tons of plant foods with protein (I'm assuming you're asking this question because you yourself are plant-based, if not, I apologize for the assumption) so we can eat those.

Actually as you get leaner and your bodyfat goes down, and as muscle breakdown becomes more likely, protein requirements will be slightly higher than during muscle building phases
  • janejellyroll
    sardelsa wrote: »

Actually as you get leaner and your bodyfat goes down, and as muscle breakdown becomes more likely, protein requirements will be slightly higher than during muscle building phases

Thanks for this correction.