Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

No bananas due to sugar content?

13»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't eat bananas. Not because of the sugar, but because the carbs do make it more calorie dense than I'd really like for fruit...as it won't fill me up, so I'd rather get my sugar from a cookie lol.

I don't eat them because they taste totally disgusting to me. :s

I Think they're good but I'd like 3 with about 4 servings of peanut butter better, so...nah.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    edited March 2018

As a general rule, you should not be going over your carb allowance, whether foods are "good for you" or not, because hyperglycemia is not good for anybody. But your carb allowance is only a starting point until you learn what you can and can't tolerate. Aim for never higher than 180 (the ADA recommendation) after meals, with no higher than 140 (about the highest non-diabetic people reach after eating) after most meals, and preferably even lower than that.

I do monitor my glucose levels and I stay within the 180 range after meals. As for my carbs, I had been adding lots of fiber to my diet which seemed to make up most of my carb allowance. I don't seem to have spikes, but I think my sugar is more controled by my medicine right now than my diet. So should I lower my carb intake? It is mostly made up of fruits and vegetables and grains. I do not eat pastas or potatoes or white breads or buiscuits, or gravies anymore.

[/quote]

@janisseshirley when you want to respond to someone specific, you should hit the quote button under their post. This sounds you're offering generic to everybody (the universal "you"), but I'm thinking may you were responding to someone who said they were diabetic? Sound advice for a diabetic is totally unnecessary guidance for someone who isn't.

Edited to say: Ignore everything after my first sentence. And maybe the first sentence too. After my comment posted, I saw from the way the quote came out that you maybe didn't write the first paragraph in your post? Looks like maybe you were quoting somebody, but did some editing or something that screwed up the code?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I intentionally buy small bananas. Peel the banana, eat the banana and log the banana. Sugar be damned.

So do I.

Not for any sugar reasons ( I eat lots of food with more sugar than bananas!)

But because they fit in my lunchbox. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    Bananas are fine. Quantity of how much one eats matters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • koda0071
    koda0071 Posts: 40 Member
    Just don't eat bananas on a fishing boat, lots of old salts will swear it brings bad luck for the whole trip. Maybe that's why they started calling me a banana. :/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    jervin6 wrote: »
    Just don't eat bananas on a fishing boat, lots of old salts will swear it brings bad luck for the whole trip. Maybe that's why they started calling me a banana. :/

So true!! I packed a banana once before a boat trip, and my husband threw it into the trash in utter disgust and horror before we set out. I didn't make that mistake again lol

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,644 Member
    What's next? People eliminating fruit from their diet entirely?

Too late. That suggestion has already come up in threads I've seen, and not just keto threads, either. SMH.