Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Former couch potatoes... how long did it take you to make your lifestyle permanently active?

13»

Replies

• natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    My shift was when I found something I was passionate about (CrossFit), around eight months after I started. Before that, I did couch to 5k, and since I was training for something, I went consistently. After that I got a puppy, and played with him a lot, but my gym habits got worse. Switching gyms and starting a lifting program helped me transition into CrossFit, and now I don't see myself ever stopping.
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Ive been active since October 2016. I moved from a house to a yacht, game changer. I didn't want to pollute the water in the marina so I started taking my shower every day in the gym. It was a small gym so I felt obligated to work out prior to the shower.

After that I started a half marathon training plan and swimming regularly and Ive found that really sustainable. I have a dog now too and if she doesn't get a daily run she behaves badly and seems anxious.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Mine started with calorie tracking and I like to eat. So I would hate working out but love more calories in my daily budget so it motivated me. I honestly started working harder and harder because I knew if I worked harder I could eat more. Then something just clicked. I tried jogging and spinning and liked them both. It took a devastating knee injury for me to get up off the couch and when I lost, I was initially just rehabbing the knee and trying to lose a few pounds. Once I found calorie tracking, I became obsessed with how many calories I could burn in an hour (most of my workouts are at lunch).

I used to die burning 400 calories in an hour. Now, it's pretty typical to burn 800 to 900 an hour and I'm in better shape at 53 than I was in my 20s, though that's not saying a whole lot! I went from the guy embarrassed to be in the gym to a guy that the trainers at the gym admit they aren't in the shape that I am. This was gradual over probably 5/6 years. Now I need my "fix" daily or I feel awful about not getting a hard workout in.
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    I had quit drinking in June (3rd time in 15 years). I spent the first 3-4 months really wallowing in depression. The last time I had quit I had really started to organize my life, but it wasn't happening for me this time. I had tried exercising a few times in the last couple of years, but always stopped shy of 30 days. By late October, I felt over the initial quitting hump and started a workout video I had bought about a year ago.

I really knew something had changed in my attitude when I was able to take a day off without quitting entirely. I also realized I loved working with my dumbbells! About two weeks in, I quit smoking cigarettes. Three months in, I signed up for a women's weight lifting class at my local rec center and walked into a gym for the first time in my life at 40 years old. The night I did 45 minutes of running/walking intervals on the treadmills AFTER lifting in the weight room, I knew I had changed my lifestyle significantly. If you had told me 6 months ago I'd be running half of 45 minutes on the treadmills, I'd have told you to check your meds.

For me, I realized that it was about finding something I loved, and creating (small) new challenges and goals. And also variety. When I started, I thought that I HAD to do my home workouts or my gym workouts, or I would stop entirely and ruin everything I'd accomplished. Not true!!!! My workout a couple weeks ago was learning to cross country ski at the nearby state park with my 7 year old daughter...and we had a blast! As a "fat" thin person who lived off junk food, I still struggle with my diet, but I will slay that sooner or later, too. Good luck!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 593 Member
    I suppose I got lucky.

I was pretty sedentary for the first few years after graduation. Couple of false starts of c25k. A wasted gym membership. Gained plenty of weight.

Then, I moved to a place in town with really bad traffic. Took forever every day to get to work and then another eternity to get home. One day when I was stuck in traffic for an abnormally long time across the street from a bicycle shop, I just said *kitten* this, jumped off the bus and bought a bike.

The fitness came slowly, but a few months later it had turned into a pretty pleasant commute. But then winter hit and I stopped. And I felt like *kitten*. Needed some other thing to do, if only to move my body around every day.

So... I got out some shoes and started again on c25k. Miraculously I was running 5k in no time. I was also lucky because my sinuses were acting up that year and waking me up at night. Running was the best way I knew of to clean them out and ease the congestion. So even if I wanted to give up due to laziness, lack of good sleep would by driving me to run again in a few days.

And then I got wheedled into a 10k race. Oh my good kittens that was fun. All of a sudden I started identifying as a runner. And that was that.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm still a couch potato, I just have a standing appointment with the gym. There are still days where I get to the gym, walk inside, then turn around and leave.

I thought i was literally the only one who has done this. "Oops, forgot something that isn't essential to my workout, but we'll say it is, can't workout now" and leave.