iWatch, Garmin or something else?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    iWatch is diqualified for only being waterproof in "shallow water".
    Since Apple refuses to tell us when exactly the water isn't shallow anymore, guess what "excuse" will be used if your gadget just ran full of liquid.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Garmin. I wore an Apple Watch every day for 2 years, switched to a Garmin 935 last September and like it much better. I love Apple products and own a bunch of them, but they just can't yet stack up to Garmin on the fitness side of things.

The Apple Watch is an excellent smart watch with some fitness features built in; the Garmin is an excellent fitness watch with some smart watch features built in.

This is my experience as well. I haven't yet found any real gaps in the Garmin swim/bike/run fitness capabilities. I own an older 920 w/HR monitor. I use mine 7 days/week, 9-13 hours of actual training time and it has been rock solid for 2 years. If you're after solid training data, the Garmin is hard to beat.

IMO, the data/software is where Apple falls on their face the hardest. Their workout app is painfully scant on performance metrics and difficult to look back on your historical data. The integration with MFP is very basic and there's nowhere near the level of two-way communication between the apps as there is with Garmin. There's also no cloud storage, no web-based interface, and no way to export your workout data that's comparable to Garmin's .fit files. Garmin Connect (their app) has its own issues and may be far from perfect, but it's light years better than Apple's native fitness app.

The Apple Watch has the necessary hardware, but their fitness software is surprisingly inadequate and a very weak effort from Apple. It's obvious that they haven't yet focused on being a true contender in the fitness/activity tracker realm.

(Not to mention battery life. I had to charge my Apple Watch every night, where I only charge my Garmin watch once every week or two, depending upon how much I use the GPS for workouts.)

Yes, the battery life on the apple watch is really limited. I charge mine every other night. Funny . . recently died mid-run, forgot to charge it the night before. Was having a good day, felt good . . thought maybe I could set a new 10k PR . . and of course it died at 4.8 miles. LOL
  • tyranapookysaurus
    tyranapookysaurus Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love my Garmin vivosmart HR. Not once yet have I had an issue with it and MFP.