INSTANT POT: my new love!

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So, I've been cooking in my IP a while now and truly I do love this! So far: chicken italiano, egg roll in a bowl (deconstructed egg roll), swiss steak, and several other things including congee, which turned out great!

I keep meaning to try the deconstructed egg roll thing...
  • eclecticpixxie
    eclecticpixxie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    So, I've been cooking in my IP a while now and truly I do love this! So far: chicken italiano, egg roll in a bowl (deconstructed egg roll), swiss steak, and several other things including congee, which turned out great!

try it! its really good and makes 4 servings and using the baked won tons as spoons means you can kind of do a community chow down! lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I use mine many times a week, sometimes twice in a day. I cooked up a frozen halibut steak to go in curry tonight, did chicken breasts in salsa earlier in the week, used it for my 3/17 corned beef and cabbage, turkey bolognese sauce. I haven't made lentil soup in a minute but that's also a favourite, beef stew too.
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love using my Insta Pot for "one pot" dinners. Chicken breast, vegetables, garlic, and brown rice, plus whatever seasoning you are in the mood for. Here is my favorite one so far for jambalaya. I substituted chicken breast, chicken sausage, low sodium chicken broth, one green and one red pepper. Delicious!

http://perfectrecipeproject.blogspot.com/2017/06/brown-rice-jambalaya-instant-pot.html
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Mine has saved us tons on yogurt already, I use it for fall apart roasts, rice, beans, soup in less than an hour, spaghetti squash is in there right now.

I have only had the thing for 2 weeks and it barely leaves the counter. At least until the 4’ snow drift melts off of the bbq and patio, then we will be on an outdoor cooking kick for a while.
  • eclecticpixxie
    Options
    Mine has saved us tons on yogurt already, I use it for fall apart roasts, rice, beans, soup in less than an hour, spaghetti squash is in there right now.

I have only had the thing for 2 weeks and it barely leaves the counter. At least until the 4’ snow drift melts off of the bbq and patio, then we will be on an outdoor cooking kick for a while.

Could you post the recipe for homemade yogurt in the instant pot? I love unflavored yogurt. Also, is this Greek?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Could you post the recipe for homemade yogurt in the instant pot? I love unflavored yogurt. Also, is this Greek?

I use this one: https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/

The only difference between regular yogurt and Greek is that Greek is strained. I use the strainer she recommends in that link and it works awesome.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My favorite so far is vegetable soup.

I heat 1T olive oil, then add chopped onion, garlic, carrot, celery, zucchini, and mushrooms. Then I add a 28 can tomatoes, 1 can beans (whatever I have), dried basil, black pepper, 2-4 bullion cubes, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and enough water to reach the max line. Cover, seal, and set the time for 5 minutes.

I add the precooked turkey sausage at the end for a heartier meal, but it’s great without too. I get a big pot of low calorie soup in about 30 minutes.

I make rice in my pot regularly.

I finally bought ribs for my husband and I’m going to give it a go - I’m a bit nervous.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have really liked using the instant pot but I can't say I've been using it for healthy foods. I've made ribs and pulled pork in it and both turned out great. I have made pulled chicken breast no sauce which is good for sandwiches and salads and making chickpeas from dried without soaking which was the best!

Pulled chicken breast is one I do a lot in mine. sometimes plain (some spices), sometimes with BBQ sauce added, sometimes with Frank's and some mayo added.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

The only difference between regular yogurt and Greek is that Greek is strained. I use the strainer she recommends in that link and it works awesome.

Im just gonna say it.... so not worth the time effort nor the money involved in making yogurt. Cost to buy is pretty much the same as making at home and you dont have to put in any effort at all.

Well, the only ongoing cost is the cost of a gallon of milk. A gallon of whole milk is about $3.

For $3, I get 12 cups of thick, delicious Greek yogurt. Most yogurt cups are 1/2 cup servings, so each homemade serving works out to 12 cents. For Fage quality Greek yogurt, that's a steal.

And honestly, it's not hard work. Getting the milk up to 180 degrees is the only annoying part, but otherwise it's set-it and forget-it. I let it incubate overnight then throw it into the fridge in the morning.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I have inherited an instant pot but I don't get the craze for it. It's a pressure cooker, they've been around for awhile. I sometimes find the food lacks flavor although the rice function comes in handy a lot.

I did occasionally use mine when I forgot to put something in the slow cooker in the morning and was expecting guests.. Love my electric version, which I use much, much more often. It is nice not having to watch it like a hawk [1] in case the flame might be up too high and burns off the water and [2] be there to start it/shut it off.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

ditto
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying mine. I plan on making mojo pulled pork in it when I get home.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @toxikon steel cut oats= 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 cup water, 1cup almond milk and2 tbsp chia seed. Punch the “porridge” button and let it ride.
  • youngmomtaz
    edited March 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

Im just gonna say it.... so not worth the time effort nor the money involved in making yogurt. Cost to buy is pretty much the same as making at home and you dont have to put in any effort at all.

And where I am, geek yogurt is $5 for 500ml(2 cups) so when I can make 2 litres for $3 or a whole gallon for $6 it is totally worth it!
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @toxikon steel cut oats= 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 cup water, 1cup almond milk and2 tbsp chia seed. Punch the “porridge” button and let it ride.

Sounds perfect!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I love a lot of things in my IP but none so much as PERFECTLY SOFT (pressure cooked?) eggs. I haven't had a proper soft cooked egg since my father passed away since I never boil them the right way (too much or too little every time) The IP is AMAZING for soft boiled eggs!

I have 2 every single night lol
  • eclecticpixxie
    Options
    please pass along how to do this! :)
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time for soup. Skinnytaste has great recipes and you can find them in MFP food database. Yum!