If you like Mexican food..

Options
kaitleigh89
kaitleigh89 Posts: 6 Member
Hey y’all! I just wanted to share my super quick, easy, healthy and yummy supper I just made! I had some ground turkey in the freezer that I needed to use and a bag of Birdseye steamer protein blends (southwest style- black beans, corn, bell peppers, lentils, a little rice and a southwest sauce) and a random can of red kidney beans. I cooked the turkey in the skillet while steaming the Birdseye protein blend in the microwave. I seasoned the turkey with black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and cilantro. When it was done I rinsed and drained the beans and added them and when the protein blend was done I added that to the turkey and beans in the skillet. Added a little more of the same seasonings. I put everything in the recipe builder and I got 4 pretty big servings for 399 calories each :) and to my individual serving I just ate, I added 1 tsp Taco Bell fire sauce, 1 tbsp ranch dressing, and 1/8 cup shredded sharp cheddar. 524 calories. Soooo good and very filling! And easy! I will definitely be making this often! :)
Side note- my almost 3 year old daughter is extremely picky and she ate it up!

Replies

• Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I *love* that southwest protein steamer! It is SOOO good! If you switch from ground turkey to ground chicken, you'll shave off a few more fat calories. When I add beans, I usually add black beans as they are higher in protein than kidney beans. Then I dump a liberal amount of salsa on top, as I consider salsa an almost "free" food because it has so few calories. I've also found that I don't miss the dairy (sour cream or cheese) if I make guacamole to go on top: 1 avocado, juice from half a lime, a small bit of jarred garlic (or garlic powder) and salt, then just blend in a food processor or smush together by hand. Removing the dairy further reduces the fat, and the fat in avocados is a better/healthier type of fat than the fat in dairy.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Both sound good! Going to try the steamers. Thanks!
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    save