How did you lose weight the right way?

Options
Hi everyone. I've posted a couple topics asking for advice, and have gotten some great feedback, but I am finally ready to get back on track and lose weight the right way. I've started gaining weight back and not taking my diet seriously after severely restricting my calories for about 5 months.

So I'm looking to hear what tactics worked for you, what you might suggest for me, what foods helped you the most, what mistakes you made, and whatever else you might be able to offer me so that I don't turn into one of those people who starve themselves and yoyo diets back and forth their entire life.

For a little more info about me, I'm 19, I'm in college, and right now I am addicted to food and can't seem to stop myself from eating frequently throughout the day. I can abstain from ordering unhealthy foods, but my problem is more that I always want to be nibbling on something. I just lost 30 pounds over the course of several months by eating twice a day, less than 900 calories, which i know is not healthy. I need to get myself back into a mentality where I can not eat constantly, and just eat more when I do eat.

Thank you so much for your help and support. It means the world to me, as my perception of what is "normal" is now very skewed. I also try to run and swim every day, and often do the 30 day shred. My BMR is about 1325 and my sedentary TDEE is around 1680 or so.

Thanks again!!

Replies

• mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am not doing anything tricky or unusual. Just eating regular plain food. I suppose they call it paleo now. I cut back on the carbs and sodium. I don't eat junk or fast food anymore. No soda. Just water and tea.

Try to get some exercise every day.

I feel very full and stuffed most of the time. I think it because of the quality of the foods I'm eating. So definitely not starving in any way.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 4 days a week and 2 endurance workouts a week. I am also eating a healthy diet. I have cut out all wheat, so no more bread, flour tortillas, or pasta for me. I will occasionally have corn tortillas.

I eat high protein and most of the carbs I eat come from fruits and veggies.

Some of my favorite meals lately are:

3/4 c Cottage Cheese mixed with 3 oz of tuna fish sprinkled with lemon pepper; served with a side of fruit such as 1 cup blueberries
    Turkey egg white sandwich from subway - (no bread)
    My 1-2 daily protein shakes (I love the vanilla premiere protein ready made shakes I get from costco or sams club)

*****Now for my most recent discovery and secret****

At every main meal I take 1 CLA-1300, and 1 Vegetarian Garcina Cambogia pill;

These coupled with a very positive attitude have allowed me to lose 5 lbs in 8 days and keep it off and not yoyo.

Good Luck feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 4 days a week and 2 endurance workouts a week. I am also eating a healthy diet. I have cut out all wheat, so no more bread, flour tortillas, or pasta for me. I will occasionally have corn tortillas.

I eat high protein and most of the carbs I eat come from fruits and veggies.

Some of my favorite meals lately are:

3/4 c Cottage Cheese mixed with 3 oz of tuna fish sprinkled with lemon pepper; served with a side of fruit such as 1 cup blueberries
    Turkey egg white sandwich from subway - (no bread)
    My 1-2 daily protein shakes (I love the vanilla premiere protein ready made shakes I get from costco or sams club)

*****Now for my most recent discovery and secret****

At every main meal I take 1 CLA-1300, and 1 Vegetarian Garcina Cambogia pill;

These coupled with a very positive attitude have allowed me to lose 5 lbs in 8 days and keep it off and not yoyo.

Good Luck feel free to friend me if you would like.

I've never heard of CLA-1300 or Vegetarian Garcina Combogia pills. I'd be interested to hear if there are setbacks because of these and what other people think of them. I may do some research. Where do you get them?

Also, I'm interested in HIIT. Do you take classes for it or do you do it on your own? How might I go about beginning HIIT training?

Thank you for your response. Lots of good things to think about. I don't think I could cut out all wheat though. Where does this trend stem from?
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Here are some Paleo websutes to explore:
    paleo.com
    paleohacks.com
    dietdoctor.com
    marksdailyapple.com

Low carb, medium protein, high fat, and VERY satisfying!

According to Paleo, one must forego starches and starchy vegetables, all wheat-based foods, legumes (including peanuts), and dairy products. Starches break down into sugar, or sucrose; dairy has sugars, some of which cause allergies. Nowadays corn has been genetically altered, and doesn't nourish as well as it once did.

Exercise won't help you if you aren't eating in a healthy manner. Concentrate on eating either Atkins, the Induction Phase, or Paleo. Adherents to Paleo are VERY MUCH into exercise, as you can read on MFP's Paleo blogs and question boards.

Best wishes!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my husband when I was a teenager I was on Atkins but when I wasn't losing fast enough , I just ate 400 calories a day. "When you're a teenager you do stupid things," I said.

Anyway, now I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day and exercise about fives times a week, usually circuit training which really burns 500+ calories each 30-35 minutes. Sometimes I do an hour, but try to take at least one day off. I don't restrict a lot of my eating because that often leads to binging or craving.

When you restrict yourself like you did, to only a small amount of calories a day, you create insane cravings and binging. You are denying yourself too much, so you go crazy when faced with a temptation. My philosophy is this, there are no forbidden foods but you have to make better choices.

Questions I ask myself:

Could I eat a bacon cheeseburger? Sure. Do they taste good? Yeah, sure. One of the Top 10 best things you've ever had? No, not really, but it's food and filling. What would you really like instead? I think I would like a steak with a butter mushroom sauce. OK, we'll have that.

It's something done in conjunction with "conscious eating," which is about being aware of how and where you're eating.

http://blog.pennlive.com/holistic-nutritionist/2008/08/ten_tips_for_conscious_eating.html

Anyway, long story short, don't deprive yourself. Eat well but do count calories. Exercise five times a week. Splurge occasionally.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For me it was just a matter of eating a balanced meal plan that had about 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. Other than that a **** load of work. I hit the gym roughly 12-14 hours a week. Not all at once, but in 2 workouts a day most days. I did not starve myself on most days I ate between 2500-3000 calories.

What I will say though is that I obviously did not start out with 2 hours a day in the gym, I started with running on the treadmill, probably a pace akin to walking really fast, then moved ot jogging, then P90X, then Burst Training, then kickboxing. Now I teach burst training and study Muay Thai. So in a simple little box it was sensible eating and lots of work.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Anyway, long story short, don't deprive yourself. Eat well but do count calories. Exercise five times a week. Splurge occasionally.

A resounding THIS ^^^^
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I also should say that I follow the Glycemic Index Diet, which is basically think about your carbs -- only eat complex ones, 3 ounces. of (for me, mostly animal) protein per meal with plenty of fruits and vegetables.

I used "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss" and there's a corresponding cookbook which works well for me. Buy it on Amazon for like $4. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Glycemic-Weight/dp/1592578551
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I choose to loose the weight slowly and safetly I am learning in the process I am a baker and a cooker so you know I ama foodie at heart just resently I "choose " to cut down salt , sugar and caffeine for now I was steady and was not loosing any weight just inches. When I started cutting down on the sodium,sugar and caffeine I started dropping weight :) . I always have a cheate day if I work out I make sure that I can afford to use my buring calories as best that I can. I dont feel guilty doing it . I use to hate reading label but, thanks to the fitness pal I am learning so much!! Be inventive learn from what you eat ask yourself many questions over and over again. Have a food journel with you dont feel guilty about what you eat enjoy then find substitudes for that favorite food that you enjoy alot
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I started on here more than 18 months ago I changed my eating. I began eating really well and losing weight. I am now near goal weight and over the 18 months I have learnt lots about eating, exercising and losing weight. I think the first thing to think about is how can I improve what I am doing now. Make say three changes and get that right. Then keep tweaking as you lose weight and can add in another change for good.

I think we can't suddenly be perfect. We can suddenly be really good, good enough that we are doing a great thing for our body and losing weight, but there is nothing wrong with changes and tweaks over time to keep getting better. I think this keeps things interesting and realistic.

So, when I started I upped the amount of water I was drinking, included more vegies each day and cut out sweets (biscuits and chocolate are my downfall, always will be!). Nowadays I eat less carbs such as rice and pasta, but mainly because I don't want to rather than because I think they are bad for me.

The way I am eating nowadays, I can eat like this forever. I eat well, I exercise well and I never feel like I am not allowed to eat things. Does this mean I don't think about what I eat, of course I do. Do I guts at morning teas etc, no. But if I really feel like something then I eat it, and then go back to eating carefully.

Good luck with it and find what works for you. We are all so very different and what works for one person does not work for another.