Hand Weights?

Options
I have a pair of 3 pound hand weights and I have been doing chest flys, curls and the T lift but I was wondering what elts I can do with them. I really want to strengthen my arms so I can do push ups and stuff. I have access to some weight stuff at my Gym in my dr office but I do t really know how to use it. Thanks in advance.

Sw 330
Cw 305
Gw 175
5'5

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You mean dumbbells? Most of my strength-training exercises start at the 3 to 5lb level so I can get my form correct before I start working with heavier weights. So, looking at my routine, the exercises that started with 3lb weights were:

Front squats
    Side squats (need a cardio step for this)
    Forward lunges (actually started with no weights. 3lbs was the first increase.)
    Seated lateral rows on a stability ball (pretty sure you can do them in a chair, too. Just slightly less work for your core.)
    Chest press on stability ball (again, you don't necessarily need the ball.)
    Front and side shoulder raises.
    Biceps curls
    Triceps kickbacks
    Triceps extensions on stability ball

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If you can't do pushups, best thing is to do an easier version of a pushup, namely placing your hands on an elevated surface like a table.

It's best to follow a full-body program, instead of doing your own thing. Simple programs include Hasfit Beginner and Nerd Fitness Beginner, which you can google. Other ones are listed here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Whenever you can do the prescribed # of repetitions with ease, it's time to increase the weight. :+1: