mustard greens. NO clue how to eat these

pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
I was given some mustard greens today. They look like they are in great shape, but I have never had them before. Do I eat them just like lettuce? Or do you cook them like beet greens? Or should I add them to a smoothie? Also I was given some butter lettuce. Anyone have any experience with butter lettuce?

Replies

• brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Sauteed in olive oil is good.
    You can wilt them with bacon fat like they do with soulfood.

They can also be eaten raw in a salad.

Treat them like any other greens if you eaten those before.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Sauteed in olive oil is good.
    You can wilt them with bacon fat like they do with soulfood.

They can also be eaten raw in a salad.

Treat them like any other greens if you eaten those before.

they can be saute, fried, braised, eaten raw or used in place of other greens in any number of recipe's

I like them braised with fresh rolled pasta with fresh herbs :) or... saute with chili peppers
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    You can cook mustard greens like collards. You can also add them to smoothies, etc.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    I've had good success by cooking 1-2 pieces of cut up bacon, sauté the greens with onion in the bacon fat until nicely wilted, add 2 cups chicken stock and boil until the stock reduces almost fully.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I was given some mustard greens today. They look like they are in great shape, but I have never had them before. Do I eat them just like lettuce? Or do you cook them like beet greens? Or should I add them to a smoothie? Also I was given some butter lettuce. Anyone have any experience with butter lettuce?

User butter lettuce in your salad just like iceberg, green, or red leaf lettuce. Butter lettuce has a smooth taste, at least for me. Enjoy!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Let me guess: this is from bountiful baskets. :) I just got them today too. The butter lettuce is the BEST lettuce It is great for any lettuce purpose. I plan on doing the greens sauteed with the bacon like I would do with spinach.