Potatoes not Prozac- Has anyone experienced it?

Options
I picked up the book 'Potatoes not Prozac' after randomly seeing it yesterday in a bookshop.
Safe to say, it already isn't what I thought it was but it has shocked and surprised me. I didn't realise the book was about sugar sensitivity, but now I'm 60 or so pages in I've spent the entire time going 'that's me!'
I'm just interested to hear what people think of the book/ program... is it just another one of those ideas sold to make money- or are they on to something here? What are your experiences with it?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I just read about this book and it sounds like it makes some conclusion leaps. That being said, however, more and more is being learned about the effects of sugar on appetite, etc. Perhaps most famous is the lecture by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology. http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717

Whether one can be clinically addicted to sugar is an interesting question and probably a question of semantics as much as anything else, but one can certainly become habituated to it.

I would not, however, make the mistake of thinking a potato before bed could replace anti-depressants without discussing it thoroughly with my physician. And why a potato? A white potato? Not the best of choices one would think.
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well I’m off the Prozac and on the potato!!! Iv suffered for years with chronic PMT, irritability, anger issues and mood swings and tiredness. Iv been to herbalists, Chinese practitioners, reflexologies, counselors, psychologists and psychiatrists. I also run, walk, do yoga and meditate regularly. NOTHING WORKED. So eventually gave in and went on Prozac as recommended by my doctor. Prozac seemed to work ok, but with side effects of NO sex drive and kind of ‘on edge’ energy (was still great to have energy tho). I was on Prozac for 6 months but was noticing that the old emotions were creeping back in..so doc was recommending that we up my dose. But for how long can you keep uping the dose as you body gets used to it ? and of course more side effects come along with it as well.
    So came across the book..read it, and like you kept going..Yep that’s me , yep that’s me. Came off the Prozac 3 weeks ago and started tracking my food. The first thing that came back with a vengeance as my sex drive LOL (halleluiah) and can definitely see when I eat sugar (doesn’t take long for the irritability and crash to happen). So far Im feeling GREAT. Im mainly following the low carb way of eating. So eating high protein.
    So, so far so good. I am taking St Johns Wort, which always had worked to a degree for me. And Iv just come across a site Evenstar which does a herb mixture called Serotonin Enhancer Plus, so have ordered that and will see how that works for me.
    Really, really hoping that between watching my food and taking the herbs that I can remain the happy me that I am at the moment.
    Best of luck with it . x
  • julzbennett
    julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a mental health sufferer (mainly anxiety) and read this book a while back. My attitude is to take it with a pinch of salt but listen to the message which is 'keep your blood sugar stable and your mood will follow' and I certainly agree!!

When eating healthily I feel much more capable of facing the world, and I also think the message about alcohol and it's DEVASTATING impact on sugar levels and therefore mood is an important one. After a night out drinking I will probably have high-levels of anxiety for 1-2 DAYS! I liked the sugar continuum and still use it to guide my choice of fruit (melon and berries with an occasional apple, or a banana ONLY before a big workout)

I think that those with MH concerns have to learn to accept them and make a decision whether they want their mind or lifestyle to be compromised...turning down a night on the town (or going an staying sober!) may seem a cramp in one's lifestyle BUT the effect that high-sugar dieting/drinking can have on the mind is I think equally debilitating.

Feel free to add me if you are interested in the topic; in fact...I might start a group!