Are pork rinds a acceptable low carb snack?

Options
mjy7478
mjy7478 Posts: 60 Member
I'm always on the go so if I woke up late or haven't had enough time to meal prep the night before I find my self stoping at the store at work and grabbing a bag of Better Made BBQ pork rinds. They contain 24 grams of protein and zero carbs. Although I know they are highly processed and also contain 630 mg of sodium I tell myself the protein to carb ratio is Worth it. Good or bad snack what do you think?

Replies

• mjy7478
    Options
    I know right!!! Thanks for the input
  • mjy7478
    Options
    Yeah they fit but I have gone over my sodium a few times. I actually had them for breakfast today running late and super busy. I'm trying to burn fat and low on carbs... But I do eat carbs from vegetable's with most of my meals
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I love pork rinds and don't care about how much sodium they have.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mjy7478 wrote: »
    Yeah they fit but I have gone over my sodium a few times. I actually had them for breakfast today running late and super busy. I'm trying to burn fat and low on carbs... But I do eat carbs from vegetable's with most of my meals

You seem to mention everything except the calories? Which is odd if you want to "burn fat" you need to watch the calories - zero carbs and over your calorie maintenance level would still mean you are gaining fat.
    High carbs and under maintenance would still have you "burning fat".

I don't assign good and bad values to food apart from personal taste preferences and quality. If you like them and they fit your food and macro preferences as part of your overall diet then not seeing a problem with them.
  • mjy7478
    Options
    240 calories the entire bag bro
  • mjy7478
    Options
    They are actually good macros wise I was just curious if they were some what healthy.... Thanks for the input bro
  • mjy7478
    Options
    So as long as I'm burning more calories then taking in am I going to burn fat?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I eat them cause they rock!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't know how healthy they are in general, and I csn only handle a few at a time before I start feeling icky, but they are generally worth it in small amounts. Sooo yummy.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    the plain are great w/ french onion chip dip...low carb as well
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Microwavable pork rinds have a lot less fat. But a little tricky to get them popped right w/o burning them. A local BBQ place in NJ makes the real deal, but I can't control myself and would eat them all and can't fit that into my goals. :disappointed:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    They are actually good macros wise I was just curious if they were some what healthy.... Thanks for the input bro

"Bro" made me smile - maybe I'm a bit old at 58 to be a bro? :wink:

Healthy as part of an overall healthy diet, sure.
    Over here (England) we call them pork scratchings, they are typically just the fat and skin separated from the meat though.
    Do your rinds also include a layer of meat along with the fat? I wonder as the protein seems higher than I expected.
  • mjy7478
    Options
    With French onion dip!! Definitely going to have to give it whirl
  • mjy7478
    Options
    Lol Never to old to be a bro my brother
  • mjy7478
    Options
    Never tried the microwave ones for sure going to ASAP
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    So as long as I'm burning more calories then taking in am I going to burn fat?

Yup. That's how fat loss works works. For all diets. Keto, vegan, paleo, Mediterranean, Atkins, Whole 30... you can eat any diet out there, but if you don't eat fewer calories than you burn you won't lose fat.
  • mjy7478
    Options
    Good to know thanks. I have always worked out and had a descent diet but Never actually gave a total 100% effort towards my diet. But that's definitely changing. I know diet is the most important ingredient to the body I want.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds are one of the ultimate low carb snacks. Besides the sodium I think they’re great! The calories are amazing for a whole bag and the fat and protein is ideal.