Would you PLEASE just stop talking!

Options
2»

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My husband is a morning person. I am not.

Sometimes if he has a meeting downtown, it makes practical sense for us to ride in together. Every single time, it takes all of my energy not to strangle him because he never shuts up, and my preferred method of conversation at that time of day consists primarily of grunting and nodding.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    dnm1207 wrote: »
    What are those moments when you just wish your S.O. / friend / family member / whoever, would just be quiet?

Genuinely struggling to remember last feeling that way (I am obviously single and live alone).

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of telling a new co-worker to STFU. She's been here only 2 weeks and she does not have an off button. She yaps all day with a loud annoying voice that makes me cringe. She also uses the word literally all day. I'm ready to choke the b*tch.

Every time she says literally and is not actually being literal, just interupt with figuratively, she will either lrarn the digference ir stop talking around you.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I can safely say you all would hate me SO MUCH. LOL.

I have never wanted to tell someone to STFU. Even my step-mother who literally talked for one hour ABOUT THE SAME THING didn't get told to shut up. I just humored her and had a giggle about it later. Because that's some talent that is!
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I like when people talk. I'm a listener. If I don't like what you're saying, I'll tune it out. But generally...I'm processed what you're saying, and filing it away.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I'm on the verge of telling a new co-worker to STFU. She's been here only 2 weeks and she does not have an off button. She yaps all day with a loud annoying voice that makes me cringe. She also uses the word literally all day. I'm ready to choke the b*tch.

Okay I'm gonna have to say something to this chick. How do you tactfully tell someone to SHUT THEIR F(CKING PIE HOLE!!!

I really wish I was there to witness this. Unfortunately I have no advice for your last question. Sorry :(
    newmeadow wrote: »

Okay I'm gonna have to say something to this chick. How do you tactfully tell someone to SHUT THEIR F(CKING PIE HOLE!!!

I had to do this once because I couldn't take it anymore. I just stood up, leaned over the partition separating our cubes and said, "Please." And then I repeated it, "Please." I didn't raise my voice or glare. I didn't have to. She got it. She stopped. It's been my experience that adult loudmouths are just pushing the envelope, like loudmouth children do. When they're called on it, they've gotten the acknowledgment they were aiming for (i.e. yes, I know you're an a**hole. Now knock it off.) so they stop.

Thanks. I like to keep the peace, especially in the office since I spend so much time here but this one is extremely loud and obnoxious. I'll think of a way.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

Every time she says literally and is not actually being literal, just interupt with figuratively, she will either lrarn the digference ir stop talking around you.

Actually the "literally" doesn't bother me as much as her loud voice and laugh and her lack of consideration for those around her.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

I really wish I was there to witness this. Unfortunately I have no advice for your last question. Sorry :(
    newmeadow wrote: »

I had to do this once because I couldn't take it anymore. I just stood up, leaned over the partition separating our cubes and said, "Please." And then I repeated it, "Please." I didn't raise my voice or glare. I didn't have to. She got it. She stopped. It's been my experience that adult loudmouths are just pushing the envelope, like loudmouth children do. When they're called on it, they've gotten the acknowledgment they were aiming for (i.e. yes, I know you're an a**hole. Now knock it off.) so they stop.

Thanks. I like to keep the peace, especially in the office since I spend so much time here but this one is extremely loud and obnoxious. I'll think of a way.

That would drive me insane, too, so I sympathize. I think the best is to keep it as brief and professional as possible. Pose it as you need quiet to focus and concentrate on your job. Hopefully she'll get the hint. If not, maybe upper management can talk to her.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't like to hear people talking a lot in dressing rooms at stores. It's usually a couple of women in separate stalls who are carrying on a very loud conversation. If it is related at all to shopping, clothing they're trying on, fit, etc, it doesn't bug me. But usually it is just random discussion and gossip or whining about how much they hate their bodies.

Other times, it's moms getting on to their kids for whining and I get that sometimes maybe you will find yourself really needing a new (insert item of clothing) and have to bring the child with you but it usually sounds like the kid has been through 5 hours of mall time and is at their breaking point.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I talk all day at work with clients, so after work I need quiet to recharge. I chit chat here and there at the gym, but no long conversations. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but some days people talking the entire time they are on the treadmill or doing whatever cardio with someone is annoying, but I know they are there to workout and probably enjoy chatting with their partner.

I'm recently single, however, and I cannot express how lovely it is to go home to a quiet, peaceful house with no one yakking non-stop!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My boss has the absolutely awful habit of waiting until I am eating lunch and then deciding to chat at me. I am eating lunch - leave me alone. I told him it was annoying and he kept forgetting that he was being annoying.

So last week I bought one of the hook & eye lock things and installed it on the outside of his office door. He hasn't bothered me even once this week. :)
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    While I am singing in the car....please don't start a conversation in the middle of my jam!

Exactly!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    My eight-year-old is adorable and funny...but he doesn't shut up for a minute. Road trips...heck even short drives...are a nightmare. He does not believe in dead air. One of his friends is just as talkative as he is, so the two of them together is enough to make your head explode. But if he's with a quieter friend, he is happy to do all the talking. Even if he has a game to play or movie to watch in the car, he goes on and on, either yelling at the screen or delivering a running commentary on whatever is on the screen.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I put my finger on front of my lips and make the shhhh sound.
    If that doesn't work, I just refuse to acknowledge them until they shut up.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My lovely husband decides to have these deep, intellectual conversations right when I’m about to fall asleep. He’s lucky he’s cute...

Talking during a movie irritates the heck out of me. And sometimes when members at work say things they think make them sound funny (“Giving away any free money today?” “Who’s going to fight over me?” OHOHOHOHOHO) I kind of want to slap them in the mouth. ...I realize I must come off as a b!tch at times, I’m really not. I’m just severely introverted. :/
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,498 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    My eight-year-old is adorable and funny...but he doesn't shut up for a minute. Road trips...heck even short drives...are a nightmare. He does not believe in dead air. One of his friends is just as talkative as he is, so the two of them together is enough to make your head explode. But if he's with a quieter friend, he is happy to do all the talking. Even if he has a game to play or movie to watch in the car, he goes on and on, either yelling at the screen or delivering a running commentary on whatever is on the screen.

Enjoy the noise. .... it won't last forever.