Options
I am a 44 year old woman.

My muscle mass is 61.3%
Bone Mass is 3.3%
But my body fat is at 35%!!!

How is this even possible?

I've looked at charts and the Bone Mass is at the percent of an "athlete"
The muscle mass is way above average.
How do I have such a high percentage of body fat?

What am I doing wrong?

How do I get them to balance and have "normal" %'s across the board?

I would appreciate any advise.

I go to the gym regularly, and I'm sure all 35% of my fat is in my belly area. and I'm a far cry from an Athlete.

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    What method was used to determine these %'s ?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How was that measured? It's likely that the method used is inaccurate and the charts are not really helpful.

If you are at a healthy weight for your height do some form of lifting or resistance training and eat at maintenance.
    If you are overweight do some form of lifting or resistance training and eat at a deficit.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm betting your numbers are wrong. Based on your picture and the fact that a scale was the source of the numbers, I'm pretty sure they are wrong.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Uhm...Where's water percentage factored in?
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well that makes me sad, I was counting on the scale to help me keep track of these things.

What is a better way to get accurate numbers?
  • getskinny1973
    Options
    I really want to make sure my body fat % is in a healthy range.
    And if not for the scale to tell me where I'm at, what can?
  • getskinny1973
    Options
    It said my water is at 45%
    I'm pretty new to all of this, so I only have the internet to go off of to find the "norms" and I don't even know what half of it means
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I really want to make sure my body fat % is in a healthy range.
    And if not for the scale to tell me where I'm at, what can?

Visual, skin fold measurements, tape measure. All of those combined with body weight trends.
  • mommy3esq
    mommy3esq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want a truly accurate measurement you can get a dexascan. It is often referred to as a gold standard for body fat testing, body composition, DEXA scans, muscle, heart rate fitness, and metabolic tests.
  • BootyfulBikerZX10r
    BootyfulBikerZX10r Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Get a Dexa scan. I did yesterday and have 150.6 lean mass 6.6 pounds of bone and I am 3.0 for bone density. I also found out my home scanner was WAY off. I found Dexa on Groupon a usual $150 scan for $76 (San Fran pricing).
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron Body Comp Scale where you stand on it and also hold the built in handle. I think I paid around $139 for it a few years ago - they are way cheaper now. When I read about them I got the idea that they were fairly accurate - more so than cheap Walmart crap. I don't know for sure about it's accuracy (and I'm not really concerned) but I like tracking the trends over time. I think I get a good idea when Fat%/Muscle% is going up and down.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    I have an Omron Body Comp Scale where you stand on it and also hold the built in handle. I think I paid around $139 for it a few years ago - they are way cheaper now. When I read about them I got the idea that they were fairly accurate - more so than cheap Walmart crap. I don't know for sure about it's accuracy (and I'm not really concerned) but I like tracking the trends over time. I think I get a good idea when Fat%/Muscle% is going up and down.

@wanzik

I used one a few years ago and it gave pretty reasonable estimates if you followed the trend, gave some odd spikes (hydration related probably). It matched BodPod scans very closely.
    On the other hand I've also used some which gave ludicrous numbers.

My gym gives free use of a Bodytrax unit (it has hand and foot sensors like the Omron) and that seems pretty reasonable/believable too.
    The biggest problem with BIA scales is the difficulty in knowing which ones are reasonable and which ones are a complete waste of time.