Guidance on macros and nutrition

Options
So I've pretty much lost the small amount of wieght I needed to when I started this current fitness journey. I'm currently doing the original p90x lean (was using Maxtrainer from Jan '17-Jan'18) and want to build or tone lean muscle without going for super bulk. I fluctuate around 110-115 lbs and I'm 5'3. I have interest in the keto diet but am leary on whether it would be proper for me. I do not eat gluten but am open to grains like brown rice and quinoa. So, for my fitness health, what should I be shooting for with my macros? Tips on yay or nay for keto as well? TIA

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    typical recommendations - .8-1g protein per goal lean muscle mass (you can go up to 1.2 for satiety)
    fat - .4-.6 grams per lean muscle mass
    let carbs fall where they will

you can eat whatever you want if it fits your macros; i plan fun foods into my daily calories

some people swear by keto - but it essentially works like other diets - you are restricting calories
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I lift a lot and I'm male so things may be a bit different (not sure, I haven't research female diets) but I do a similar approach:

For my 2500-2800 calories
    1g fat per kg lean body mass (around 65-70g ish)
    at least 1g protein per lb body weight (165g)
    carbs and extra protein where they fall - this generally leads me to eating around 200g of protein and 250-300g carbs

Don't stress it too much. Meet a couple basics and let the rest do what they do, your body can figure it out no problem.
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think it's important not to forget the fiber. 38g for a man I think 26g for a woman. I believe I have had the success I have had in part because of the fiber intake. So I track 3 macros Protein, Fat and Fiber. Fiber is of course a carb.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb from my RD for fiber - 14-16g per 1000cal - so if i eat 2500cal - i aim for 35 to 40g
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb from my RD for fiber - 14-16g per 1000cal - so if i eat 2500cal - i aim for 35 to 40g

Can you point me to a source for this? I would like to read it. I know also that the recommendations are lower fiber intakes for older people. Even though I am older (53) I ignore that.
  • 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn’t know older people are recommended to eat less fiber?

Seventh Day Adventists mean dietary fiber is 45g/d in men and 47g/d in women and they have lower all cause mortality. Ref: Adventist Health Study 2.

60% carbs is probably a good number. The US Department of Agriculture recommends that all men and women over the age of 19 should get at least 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day (or 0.37 grams per pound). So why don’t you work with that!
  • 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    neillc57 wrote: »

Can you point me to a source for this? I would like to read it. I know also that the recommendations are lower fiber intakes for older people. Even though I am older (53) I ignore that.

This study suggests fibre intake should be increased in the elderly;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19836617/