Am I overtraining??

Options
Hello everyone:
(5'3)
My more normal weight is around 103-105 pounds, but I currently weigh 92 pounds. I lost the weight in a span of five months recently due to exercising more than my usual. I find it hard to believe that I lost so much weight by just walking at a fast because I know some people run for miles and don't get sore like I do. I also ate more but it seemed to cancel out. I did it compulsively due to stress, but I want to find a balance because before I didn't workout as much. I do feel sore a lot of the times, but don't understand why maybe everybody is different and it's too much for me even though it's not super rigorous. Here's an overview of my situation.

My activity level before:
98-105lbs (1,600 calories)
-Walking around house, lots of walking around university campus, taking the stairs, rarely went out for walks on the weekends
-My 15min cardio and strength/yoga routine

What made me lose crazy weight
92lbs (eating 2,100 calories)
-All of the above plus walking at 4mph for an hour daily and a twenty minute walking session

Now
92lbs (eating 2,100 calories) WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT
-Like my activity level before but still keeping an additional 20min walk

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also you don't need to post this in 3 different forums here
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You might get some more help in the gaining weight forum, but basically you are not eating enough. Your tdee /maintenance calories are higher than you're eating
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You sound a lot like my friend who had a thyroid issue. I'm not a doctor, but she also ate massive calories and was up in her apartment, moving around, all night. Her BMR (not maintenance; this is if she literally does, eats, nothing) is 2400 now at 5'7 and 115 (she's up from 90 pounds, when I met her), with a lot of muscle from training with a trainer the past year.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you lost crazy weight at 2100 calories; why would you think you are going to gain weight keeping that same caloric intake?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,907 Member
    Options
    Sounds like under fueling, not over training

That.

Weight loss per se (even with sore muscles alongside) is not how overtraining (in the technical sense) manifests. It's not even how "working out too much for current fitness level" (the non-technical thing people who think they're overtraining are usually actually doing) manifests.

It's how undereating for current activity level manifests. It can be improved by exercising less, eating more, or a combination, as you prefer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Never heard of anyone over training with walking around a lot...over training is high volume and often intense exercise performed with frequency without rest and recovery resulting in injuries and other things...

Not eating enough to gain weight isn't over training...a lot of activity will increase you energy expenditure and can make it more difficult to eat to gain weight.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll be able to
    Gain weight if you stop working out...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,240 Member
    Options
    Sounds like under fueling, not over training

This ^^

Walking for an hour and twenty minutes isn't overtraining.

Do you weigh and log your food?

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You're under-eating.

Either eat more of what you eat or eat higher calorie and less satiating stuff.

Chicken breast, no. Chicken thigh with skin, yes.

Steamed fish, no. Battered, deep fried fish, yes.

Potatoes, no. White fluffy bread with butter, yes

Or walk less!!!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You do alot of walking and from your description, you do over 8k steps minimum, there's a point of diminishing returns, mine is 10k, others are lower and higher. Use a pedometer and keep track of your walking.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,240 Member
    Options
    Lots of people spend all day on their feet walking as part of their jobs.