Am I Overtraining??

Options
Hello everyone:
(5'3)
My more normal weight is around 103-105 pounds, but I currently weigh 92 pounds. I lost the weight in a span of five months recently due to exercising more than my usual. I find it hard to believe that I lost so much weight by just walking at a fast because I know some people run for miles and don't get sore like I do. I also ate more but it seemed to cancel out. I did it compulsively due to stress, but I want to find a balance because before I didn't workout as much. I do feel sore a lot of the times, but don't understand why maybe everybody is different and it's too much for me even though it's not super rigorous. Here's an overview of my situation.

My activity level before:
98-105lbs (1,600 calories)
-Walking around house, lots of walking around university campus, taking the stairs, rarely went out for walks on the weekends
-My 15min cardio and strength/yoga routine

What made me lose crazy weight
92lbs (eating 2,100 calories)
-All of the above plus walking at 4mph for an hour daily and a twenty minute walking session

Now
92lbs (eating 2,100 calories) WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT
-Like my activity level before but still keeping an additional 20min walk

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    That definitely doesn't sound like overtraining. But you may have been eating way less than you thought. Just keep an eye on things and adjust week to week. If you are not gaining on your current plan, then up your calories another 100-200 calories per week until you start seeing a gain.
  • jenandjoon
    jenandjoon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stop walking, running, and doing cardio. THAT is the reason you’re not gaining and staying small. In order to gain you need to lift weights. Period.
  • jenandjoon
    jenandjoon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That, and eating a surplus of protein as part of your diet. Weights + protein = gains.
  • foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The definition of over-training is CNS failure, that is to say if you regularly squat a plate (135 lbs) for 12 reps, and the next time you attempt it you can only do 5 reps before you're heavily fatigued. Other symptoms of over-training are minor injuries, most commonly things like shin splits, tennis elbow, and shoulder bursitis.

What you're doing is under eating, or over estimating your portions: A person does not over-train in the traditional sense from walking at 4mph at a 100lb body weight.

If your goal is to gain weight, increase carb intake through snacks to spike insulin and store fat. Try the 40C/20F/20P ratio.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You're significantly underweight... perhaps you should seek the advice of a doctor.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Second the advice to go see a doctor. Suddenly losing a lot of weight can be a sign of health issues that you'd want to get checked out.