Reading materials

Options
Anyone have any books or publications that really helped them with their weight loss? it’s not really looking for recipe books but whatever has been useful

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Do you mean in terms of motivation? Or the sience behind it? Or examples of eating plans?
    For me personally what helped was reading several clinical studies on weight loss. Reading the forum here helped a lot. The success stories forum here has always helped me. I also liked Strong curves which is a lifting guide book by B. Contreras.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'll go slightly outside of your brief....

To lose weight I found the book by Michael Mosley very useful about 5:2 dieting. "The Fast Diet". A different approach compared to everyday deficit which personally suited me very well.
    (But a caveat - the research is highly partial and cherry picked, read with a cynical eye!)
    You may not be looking for recipes but it has some really tasty and low calorie ones.

Two others I read too late for me as had already lost my excess weight but could be very useful:

"The Lean Muscle Diet" by Lou Schuler & Alan Aragon. Covers both nutrition and training along with a different diet approach - eating at your future maintenance level instead of calculating a deficit from your current TDEE.

"The Chimp Paradox" by Steve Peters. Fascinating model of how your mind works and how you can make positive changes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That depends on what mindframe you're in, and your mindframe also decides what you're going to get out of a book or article or video. I have been fascinated by how our mind works, by nutritional guidelines through time and continents, by food and body in media and the food and diet industry, so my reading has been about that. These are some of the people who have taught me new things or reminded me of things I already knew, or helped me connect dots, I also don't agree with everything they're saying: Brian Wansink, Mark Schatzker, Marion Nestle, Michael Pollan, Scooby, Isabel Foxen Duke, Ellyn Satter, David Aaron Kessler, Allen Carr, Eric Schlosser, David L. Katz, Michael Moss, Gillian Riley, Doug Lisle, Kris Gunnars, Yoni Freedhoff, Kelly Brownell, Susan Peirce Thompson, Melissa McCreery.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink "why we eat more than we think" ..... the guy did LOTS of research and experiments on unbeknownst people like using bigger containers, soup bowls that refill, expensive lables on food etc etc etc ... to show how the amount of food we eat is governed by external factors and why you can do to stop over eating stuff you dont want to be.

I loved it .. loads of anecdotes and funny stories .. and tips

• maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "Younger Next Year"
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    515V21dzGJL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51VWSWfhFkL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The Power of Habit, for sure. I recently bought copies for my children and their own families.