Stress/binge eating?

Options
For the past few weeks, I've been under a lot of stress and I've noticed I've been eating huge quantities of food. At the end of the day, at work or not, I'll be thinking that the food I want is a treat and it's just this once to make myself happy after the stress.
I've only just begun to realise this is a recurring theme in my life. I had a huge break down about 5 years ago caused by my inability to deal with the stresses in my life at the time, and during that period I was eating takeaway pizzas or chinese food etc every single night for a year. I was 15 stone and then when I finally got help for my mental health and moved back into my parents house I naturally lost 2 stone purely from not eating like I was any more. I didn't recognise what I was doing at the time, but it's happening again, this time the stress is from different sources than before and since I'm more independent (i.e. can drive now) I find myself visiting local fast food places after work and ordering ridiculous amounts of food. Or going to the shop and buying lots of snack food.
I literally just finished eating after having spent most of the day snacking on crisps, biscuits, sushi, sandwiches, energy drinks, pork scratchings and now beer.
So my post is for two reasons. First, I'm sad and disappointed in myself that I do this. I know it's unhealthy and I just feel like I've let myself down. Secondly, how do I stop this? Last time I was stressed I went to therapy. It's so difficult to get into therapy, it took a suicide attempt for me to be admitted and then I had to wait 6 months. I'm wondering if there is a way I can change a lifestyle habit, any thought changes I could ponder on... I don't know... some guidance I suppose? Maybe this is the wrong place for it, but I want to know if anyone else has gone through this and what they did?
I'm so sorry.

Replies

• ljchess0917
    ljchess0917 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do the same thing sometimes :(
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Now that you realize that you are a stress eater, you need to find other ways to deal with the stress. Meditation, yoga, Tai chi, walking, punching a bag in the face...
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is what I do to stop the over eating....

Acknowledge out loud that I am stressed or upset and that I really want to eat a lot to stop the pain. I usually say out loud what specifically is making me upset or stressed. Just saying things out loud and acknowledging my feelings instead of stuffing them down with food helps me feel a lot better and the need to overeat goes away.

I also think it’s a lot about impulse control and thinking about the consequences of my actions. I really think about the consequences before I binge. After thinking about how much I will regret the binge helps the urge pass too. I’m sick of feeling bad about myself because of overeating. I love the feeling of conquering the urge to overeat. I conquered it a couple of times today and I feel really happy right now.

These methods have worked for me. I haven’t binged since November.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have a history of binge eating, to the point I would eat so much I Would make myself vomit. I haven't binged to that degree in 6 years. I still binge occansionally, but nearly like I used to. I tried therapy and antidepressants, neither worked for me. I know stress will make my appetite go crazy, like I never have an end to my stomach. Finals do it to me pretty much everytime. Finding an exercise I love has made all the difference. Being physically strong and help me feel mentally strong. I'm here if you would like to talk.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Don't be sorry!

Why is it so hard to get into therapy? I mean, I've looked into it so I know it's a pain but not impossible. I signed up for a free eating disorder support group (haven't went), could you look into that?

I've done some reading as well...Just finished "Feeding the Hungry Heart" and it helped me realize I'm not alone, and how to look at things that may have happened in my past that trigger my strange relationship with food. Not perfection but a start.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants some comfort when stressed out and food is comforting, try to find a different outlet to destress and just avoid over indulging. It won't be easy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Don't be sorry!

Why is it so hard to get into therapy? I mean, I've looked into it so I know it's a pain but not impossible.

For me, therapy costs money. Few doctors are taking new patients. I need a GP referral. I agreed to go to a support group for a 3 hour session which I immediately regret doing because it was hard enough to admit what I was doing to my GP and husband, now I get to talk about it in front of a group of strangers. There are many valid reasons getting into therapy is hard.

OP, I don't have any other way of dealing with stress than to eat. Overeating is the only thing I can do do fix the chemical mix-up in my brain.
  • LoobyJLou
    LoobyJLou Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Please don’t beat yourself up about it ! I do it too and the first step in breaking the cycle is to acknowledge its happening ! So your on step 1 . Sometimes I must admit I just stuff and stuff and stuff but other times I CAN control it by thinking of me on a beach in swimwear ! Nothing like a beached whale to snap me out of binging especially when the whale is me ! So perhaps you could think of a senario that makes you want to be slimmer and call that up when you want to over eat . Good luck
  • LoobyJLou
    LoobyJLou Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say that I have just had a 6 month wait for councilling which began last week , so hopefully my stresses will be helped a little by therapy ! Get on a waiting list and it will happen soon x
  • hey_llia
    hey_llia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this everyone. I was a bit at the end of my tether and I suppose I wanted to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    In the past I've gotten exasperated with meal plans feeling like they hold me back as I rather like allowing for spontaneity in my life, but the suggestion by kommodeveran about almost rewarding myself with great tasty meals is appealing to me. I love cooking but since having my new job I've been too stressed or tired to put in the effort any more. Maybe it's time I just did it.
    As for the therapy, I will look into more informal group sessions etc, it seems like a decent way to get some support and guidance and a nice in-between whilst I decide whether more formal therapy is required. Last time I had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and it helped with my issues at the time, perhaps it may again. It's just that scary hurdle of admitting to someone other than yourself that you're not handling life well at the moment.

Thank you all very much. This is part of the reason I enjoy MPF compared to other places; so much support and information from real people.

I wish everyone so much joy and happiness :blush: