Anyone else close to a power lifting meet?

Options
bbell1985
bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
Anyone competing soon? I'm peaking and though the beginning of the week felt great, I feel like death now.

My numbers are conservative. I had a herniated disk last April and couldn't squat or deadlift for 7 months. My numbers are back up to what they were at this time last year, nothing special. But I'm pain free.

How you guys feeling?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i am going to look into maybe may or june to compete.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i am going to look into maybe may or june to compete.

That's awhile away
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I'm looking forward to this meet being over. I want to try something new. I also want to get lean.
  • 5x5SL
    5x5SL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Anyone competing soon? I'm peaking and though the beginning of the week felt great, I feel like death now.

My numbers are conservative. I had a herniated disk last April and couldn't squat or deadlift for 7 months. My numbers are back up to what they were at this time last year, nothing special. But I'm pain free.

How you guys feeling?

Next meet is in May, also coming back from an injury. When are you competing next?
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Rob_181 wrote: »

How you guys feeling?

Next meet is in May, also coming back from an injury. When are you competing next?

March 10.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had a meet in mid-March but they moved it. So I ended the peak 2 weeks early, doing a deload this week and starting a cut. I was doing pretty good and was a bit disappointed with them changing the location of the meet. I was feeling much stronger near the end of the peak and felt I was going to hit some nice PRs at meet. Oh well, a good time to start a cut. I've been putting it off too long for strength training but now I want to slim down before summer.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I was planning to compete this march. Had a few people from my gym invite me.

Unfortunately work got in the way and I've been having to travel to a location where the nearest thing that even looks like a gym is over 90km away through a mountain pass. Not the safest thing to do daily after working.

Aside from that I'm essentially getting a full deloads week ever second week. My lifts have been like butter. Old injury healing quite well. I'm going to look into something for around may-june. Wouldn't mind dropping 5lbs before then just yo give my wilks a lil boost.

What are your openers going to be?
  • bbell1985
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Unfortunately work got in the way and I've been having to travel to a location where the nearest thing that even looks like a gym is over 90km away through a mountain pass. Not the safest thing to do daily after working.

Aside from that I'm essentially getting a full deloads week ever second week. My lifts have been like butter. Old injury healing quite well. I'm going to look into something for around may-june. Wouldn't mind dropping 5lbs before then just yo give my wilks a lil boost.

You deload every two weeks? May/June sounds good. I'm not dropping weight because I've been there and done that with water cuts and no time to lose.

I think I'll open with 220 squat, 265 dead...don't really want to talk about bench
  • jessef593
    Options
    Not bad those are pretty good openers.

Well since I work 7 on 7 off. I only have access to a gym 14 days of the month. So essentially those 2 work weeks, until March 13th or so ive heard serve as super frequent deloads. Which I've been taking advantage off. Running Sheiko at the highest allowed daily percentages without burning out. My bench has definitely been benefiting.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Not bad those are pretty good openers.

Well since I work 7 on 7 off. I only have access to a gym 14 days of the month. So essentially those 2 work weeks, until March 13th or so ive heard serve as super frequent deloads. Which I've been taking advantage off. Running Sheiko at the highest allowed daily percentages without burning out. My bench has definitely been benefiting.

Nice. You like it? I'm running a program that was written for me last year but I want to try something new when I'm done with this meet.

And you don't have to say those numbers are good. I know I'm not that strong. I am just doing this to redeem myself from a bad performance last year. I might not even try to PR.
  • jessef593
    Options
    For everyone. How maintainable do you think powerlifting is into the later years of life?

I'd love to lift till I die, I'm just not sure how realistic of a goal that is.

• bbell1985
    Options
    For everyone. How maintainable do you think powerlifting is into the later years of life?

I'm going to do it for as long as I can. I think at some point I'll just have to accept that there won't be anymore PRs. I already started too late to ever be any good.

There's a man at my gym who must be 55. He started like 3 years ago and got a 500lb squat recently.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just competed at my 8th meet last Sunday and did a 9 week program. By the 7th week, I started to get a little exhausted, but was able to complete it with no problems. Just make sure you take at least 3-4 days off prior to your meet so you can rest
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I just competed at my 8th meet last Sunday and did a 9 week program. By the 7th week, I started to get a little exhausted, but was able to complete it with no problems. Just make sure you take at least 3-4 days off prior to your meet so you can rest

I'm programmed don't worry :)
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options

I turned 59 in January and didn't get started until I was 57 and will continue lifting as long as I am physically able. I have seen men and women in their 70's and a few in their 80's still lifting! A 75 year old lady deadlifted 275 lbs. BELTLESS at a powerlifting meet!
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options

You deload every two weeks? May/June sounds good. I'm not dropping weight because I've been there and done that with water cuts and no time to lose.

I think I'll open with 220 squat, 265 dead...don't really want to talk about bench

I have a poverty bench :-(

• bbell1985
    Options
    Ugh. I don't want to get old. I'm not getting married so I won't have a family. I have like two friends. And I won't be able to lift? What's the point?

p.s. I am being dramatic today.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Aside from that I'm essentially getting a full deloads week ever second week. My lifts have been like butter. Old injury healing quite well. I'm going to look into something for around may-june. Wouldn't mind dropping 5lbs before then just yo give my wilks a lil boost.I

I have a poverty bench :-(

Mine literally sickens me. Like...how can I have worked so hard for no progress?
  • jessef593
    Options

I turned 59 in January and didn't get started until I was 57 and will continue lifting as long as I am physically able. I have seen men and women in their 70's and a few in their 80's still lifting! A 75 year old lady deadlifted 275 lbs. BELTLESS at a powerlifting meet!

He'll ya that's awesome to hear. I think I saw that actually. She can out deadlift every one of friends. Even the ones that workout.

At least I know I can keep it going for another 51 years at the very least haha. My biggest concern is avoiding injury. Especially into the later years.

• jessef593
    Options
    Ugh. I don't want to get old. I'm not getting married so I won't have a family. I have like two friends. And I won't be able to lift? What's the point?

p.s. I am being dramatic today.

Just take tren haha. It's the fountain of youth.

Have you seen stefi Cohen? She's got a little extra supplementation but hell she's stronger than 20 year old juice monkeys in my gym