Protein Powder

Options
Has anyone tried MyProtein protein powder? I'm considering buying either the banana cinnamon flavour or the natural vanilla and was just wondering if it's worth buying them. I've never used/had protein powder before but I thought that I would at least give it a try and see what it's like.

I'm currently trying to lose weight and I currently have 49lbs to go. I do weight training with free weights and machines with about 20-30 minutes of cardio afterwards.

Is it worth it? And does anyone have any recommendation on when/how to have them. I've heard of some people mixing some of it into smoothies and others just having it with water.

Replies

• DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few and found MyProtein's Natural vanilla to be the best. Tastes good, doesn't clump as much as some powders - providing you use a 'shaker cup' - and they seem to always have discount deals on their website. (Buy smallest pack first to make sure you like it. I now buy in 2.5KG packs and it lasts a good while).

I have mine with skimmed milk if maintaining or looking to increase weight/muscle or just with water if in a deficit.

Trial and error when is best for you. I have mine in the morning as 'breakfast' then, if i haven't hit protein goals naturally (ie with actual food) then I might have one at night.

2 scoops and 500ml of water gives you a lot of protein for your buck! In a perfect world we'd get all our needs met with diet but...

All the best.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of brands hard to find one with good macros that meet my goal low carbs high protein and a meal replacement so all other good stuff you need plus actually be affordable. Currently using RSP TrueFit but I agree with above try a few out ask for samples through the website and they will generally give you some might just have to pay shipping. I mix with water but have done almond milk for a little thicker shake all personal preference and we all taste things slightly different.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have tried a lot of brands hard to find one with good macros that meet my goal low carbs high protein and a meal replacement so all other good stuff you need plus actually be affordable. Currently using RSP TrueFit but I agree with above try a few out ask for samples through the website and they will generally give you some might just have to pay shipping. I mix with water but have done almond milk for a little thicker shake all personal preference and we all taste things slightly different.

I had tried a brand before from my personal trainer but did not like the taste of it at all. I think I would try it with almond milk as I would prefer it a little bit thicker rather than with water but I'll give both a try and see how it goes!

Myprotein now sells samples so I'll buy a few of those and see which ones I like.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Myprotein is okay usually they have some sale going on. I always take chocolate.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have MyProtein on the go at the moment:

Orange Creme - not yet opened
    Chocolate Orange - yum
    lemon Cheesecake - mega yum
    Cinamon Danish - mega mega yum.

I have them with water or with milk and have very little to dislike about either way.

Really like 20g protein for 98 cals :D
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    amyteacake wrote: »

Is it worth it? And does anyone have any recommendation on when/how to have them. I've heard of some people mixing some of it into smoothies and others just having it with water.

It's useful only in case you struggle getting enough protein from other usual food items, or as substitute from time to time, when you find other protein sources ",boring"

But protein powder by itself doesn't have any magical powers or doesn't help to lose weight or gain muscle in any way. Basically it's just another kind of ( protein rich) food source.
  • amyteacake
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »

It's useful only in case you struggle getting enough protein from other usual food items, or as substitute from time to time, when you find other protein sources ",boring"

But protein powder by itself doesn't have any magical powers or doesn't help to lose weight or gain muscle in any way. Basically it's just another kind of ( protein rich) food source.

I know, I've always just wanted to give it a try and see what it's like. Some days I do find myself with not having enough time to get enough protein in or have any protein after my workouts - especially when I have a late shift at work with no break and I'm unable to reach my goal.

I mainly just want to see what they're like. I don't believe they're the cure for anything. There's never going to be a magic pill
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

...Some days I do find myself with not having enough time to get enough protein in or have any protein after my workouts - especially when I have a late shift at work with no break and I'm unable to reach my goal.

I mainly just want to see what they're like

That's exactly when I make a protein powder shake myself. But it doesn't happen that often with me. As fast as trying what they're like - I'm not sure if Myprotein has them, but several brands have one portion (25-30 gram) packs available. You can get couple of those with different flavors to try.

Also, matter of taste, but protein powder with water - yuck :smiley: . I only mix mine with milk or if I want to reduce calories involved something like Alpro unsweetened almond milk. But that of course is personal preference.

• amyteacake
    Options

...Some days I do find myself with not having enough time to get enough protein in or have any protein after my workouts - especially when I have a late shift at work with no break and I'm unable to reach my goal.

I mainly just want to see what they're like

That's exactly when I make a protein powder shake myself. But it doesn't happen that often with me. As fast as trying what they're like - I'm not sure if Myprotein has them, but several brands have one portion (25-30 gram) packs available. You can get couple of those with different flavors to try.

Also, matter of taste, but protein powder with water - yuck :smiley: . I only mix mine with milk or if I want to reduce calories involved something like Alpro unsweetened almond milk. But that of course is personal preference.

Myprotein has little sample packs that I've ordered with a few flavours of just to see what they're like. I'll definitely be trying it with both water and almond milk just to see which one I prefer
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've been taking them everyday for almost 2 years. I still haven't tried all flavours - there are so many! Most a very tasty. I think my favourites are Latte and Lemon Cheesecake.
    I blend a scoop with 1 big green banana from the fridge, 2 balls frozen spinach and 150ml cold almond milk. 300cal and I get a 700ml (lots of air in it) frozen thick goodness which I put in a bowl and eat with a spoon. Yum!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Interesting report just came out about various contaminants/unwanted substances in protein powders - it's been getting a fair amount of buzz. http://www.cleanlabelproject.org/protein-powder/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love Myprotein. I live in Australia and order direct from England.
    I can't have whey concentrate, so i rotate whey impact isolate in chocolate peanut butter flavour, and casein in chocolate flavour. I buy the big 5kg (11lb) bag, so it lasts me quite a few months.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love Myprotein. I live in Australia and order direct from England.
    I can't have whey concentrate, so i rotate whey impact isolate in chocolate peanut butter flavour, and casein in chocolate flavour. I buy the big 5kg (11lb) bag, so it lasts me quite a few months.

I'm in aus too and I order from them. Love their protein brownies, protein pancake mix and their gym clothes. Their vanilla powder is alright, nothing special but not bad. I made the mistake of buying their peanut cookie flavour though and it was absolutely revolting. Couldn't even cover up the taste with smoothies! Sample packs are probably the way to go. Definitely recommend them and their sales/promo codes though!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Interesting report just came out about various contaminants/unwanted substances in protein powders - it's been getting a fair amount of buzz. http://www.cleanlabelproject.org/protein-powder/

A really helpful article on Clean Label Project: http://www.chadhayesmd.com/the-clean-label-project-is-playing-dirty/

Bottom line, wouldn't trust them. No better than the Non-GMO Project in terms of reliability.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

A really helpful article on Clean Label Project: http://www.chadhayesmd.com/the-clean-label-project-is-playing-dirty/

Bottom line, wouldn't trust them. No better than the Non-GMO Project in terms of reliability.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.