Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is 13 too young for a diet ?????

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I have a heavy 10yo boy and I did get him a Garmin Jr so we can compete for steps and he SEES me weigh my food. I think 13 is a little early, maybe 16-17-18 once they've "grown" taller. I'm hoping he leans out with time but we are taking the lead by example approach. It wouldn't surprise me if he dieted on his own if he were still chubby in his late teens. Thankfully for him he won't be doing something completely idiotic like WW because his mom is well versed in thermodynamics haha
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I think a weight loss diet can be appropriate for teenagers. If a 13 year old is very overweight it is appropriate for them to lose weight.
    I am not sure if weight watchers or the like are appropriate services to use to guide or monitor that. I don't think WW is aeesome for adults so I am not going to say it is great for teens but I don't know what is out there for teens to use. Teens aren't supposed to use this site. I believe sparkteens shut down and sparkpeople is also age 18 and up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I think a weight loss diet can be appropriate for teenagers. If a 13 year old is very overweight it is appropriate for them to lose weight.
    I am not sure if weight watchers or the like are appropriate services to use to guide or monitor that. I don't think WW is aeesome for adults so I am not going to say it is great for teens but I don't know what is out there for teens to use. Teens aren't supposed to use this site. I believe sparkteens shut down and sparkpeople is also age 18 and up.

Yes, this is a problem I've noticed too. No resources at all for teens anywhere. I hope someday there will be a streamlined online resource where teens can monitor their progress that also has tools their doctor can use to personalize a plan.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I have a heavy 10yo boy and I did get him a Garmin Jr so we can compete for steps and he SEES me weigh my food. I think 13 is a little early, maybe 16-17-18 once they've "grown" taller. I'm hoping he leans out with time but we are taking the lead by example approach. It wouldn't surprise me if he dieted on his own if he were still chubby in his late teens. Thankfully for him he won't be doing something completely idiotic like WW because his mom is well versed in thermodynamics haha

My nephews were bulking up despite playing lots of sports. My sister started asking them if they are really hungry or just bored. A lot of times they are bored. One of them bought an activity tracker with his birthday money cause he loves gadgets. They’ve both slimmed down quite a bit. My sister admits that a lot of it is on her to make sure she has healthy choices for them- they are very picky eaters.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I think a more active lifestyle and healthy options should be encouraged (but not forced) and made more readily available over unhealthy options. That age is too malleable and it would be so easy to twist their minds and ruin their body image. Encouraging activity, fruits and veggies is what I would do. I like the 'sometimes and always foods' method.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

My nephews were bulking up despite playing lots of sports. My sister started asking them if they are really hungry or just bored. A lot of times they are bored. One of them bought an activity tracker with his birthday money cause he loves gadgets. They’ve both slimmed down quite a bit. My sister admits that a lot of it is on her to make sure she has healthy choices for them- they are very picky eaters.

My kids are amazing when they're at my house but I share custody with my ex and they eat a lot of calorie dense foods over there. I do my best to mind my son's options (I don't limit his food by any means but I do make ALL of our food less calorie dense because I am watching my weight too lol) He loves salads with lean meat and we have 1/2 rice 1/2 cauliflower things like that. At my exes it's deep fried, covered in cheese and sausage on top. It's not awful now and then but for a kid that plays video games more than he walks, it's too much.

I've discussed it with my ex and he thinks because it's home made it's fine and he'll grow out of it. ugh
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2018
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    "In February, the world's oldest and largest weight-loss company announced it will offer children ages 13 to 17 free summer memberships as part of its strategy to more than double revenue and memberships by the end of 2020."

"They will have free access to Weight Watchers when they join with an adult, helping them develop healthy habits at a critical life stage," new CEO Mindy Grossman said during an employee event in New York on Feb. 7."

I'm torn as I can seriously see the Pro's and Con's.

What's your take ??????

I think it's good. I was old enough and mature enough at 13 to follow a diet like WW. Doing nothing isn't going to help a young teenager any and they could be worse off in the long run. I believe i was way worse off because I was self-aware of my weight and would get depressed because of it and felt so ashamed of myself at that time. i didnt want to go anywhere around people because of it and I don't believe i was even in the obese 'weight range still overweight though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm really not sure what would be the best way to handle teenagers. Some kids are made to feel insecure about their weight so they develop problems. Some parents try to help their kids by restricting access to high calorie food, and they feel deprived and develop problems, and then there are cases like mine where I was fat when I was 13 but no one made me feel bad about it or tried to change anything about my food and I developed problems because I didn't feel being fat was something I needed to change. I'm not even sure restricting access to junk food is even that effective because of my own experience, we didn't restrict junk food but it was just not a regular part of our eating habits. I was also on the volleyball team and dabbled in shot put. None of that prevented me from being and staying obese. Can anything even be done about childhood obesity? Does anyone have any stories about something that worked for a kid other than leaning out after a growth spurt like it happens sometimes?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    How about diabetic children who have to learn to monitor their intake or die? There is also the transition period where the parent hands over responsibility to the teen. There are strategies that work for them.

My friend who fostered such children emphasized the positive, worked with the temperament and preferences of the child, and ALWAYS has attractive fresh fruit available and visible for snacking. She cured a few from food hoarding.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I remember my first diet...I was 15. I don't think at 13 I even thought about weight. At 15 I didn't need to slim down but wanted to be skinny like my best friends.

I don't like the thought of young teenagers over thinking what or how much they eat... but I don't know what the best plan for them is either.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Eating habits start in the home. He should join into meal preps but the word "diet" need not be used. He is not willing or mature enough to process it. If junk is in the house....WHY?!
    He is a kid and they do not process like adults.
    If you are hiding foods that are not sound but YOU want them....don't worry...he knows it!
    As the adult and leader of the pack everything starts there.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Not sure how I feel about this. I did WW in high school. I went from around 180 - 126. It was great! My mom made ALL of my meals, packed my lunch and kept me on track. I lost weight every week. Did I learn how to eat healthy from WW? Nope. My mom did all the work for me, I only had to eat what she prepared. Here it is 40 years later and I'm still trying to lose weight. I think if a child is seriously overweight, something should be done-but how to go about it, I don't know. If kids are taught from a young age and see examples from adults how to eat healthy, snack etc. in moderation, and exercise maybe that would promote healthy habits. Thank goodness, both of my grown kids have never had to experience a weight problem. They both put me to shame. They eat well, limit snacks and if they do get to the slippery slope they know how to reel it in. I don't know if having an overweight mom makes them more aware or not. We've never talked about it. I do have to say it was my daughter that hooked me up with MFP, she used it to drop her baby weight. She looks great and is smaller than before she got pregnant.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I just read an article today about WW. I believe it said that in May, it's going to shift it's focus from weight loss to "overall health and wellness" at any fitness level. So I'm just wondering if this was a good time to announce something going forward with teens. It's not stated in the article, so it's a total assumption on my part.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/weight-watchers-is-shifting-from-weight-loss-to-wellness-as-healthy-is-the-new-skinny-2018-02-28

I thought they did that a few years ago, with their new plan, then again just recently with there new "freestyle" plan, they keep coming up with new "names", to call their same old plan...
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    If they are going to teach healthy and not harp on diet/losing weight, I think it's a good plan, but others are right, kids get that (sometimes) at home, at school, they've heard it before, it's no different then us adults, we know what we should do, but it's all about making our selves do it.
    Once they hit an age, they will do what they want no matter what the adults tell them, you know, teenagers know best, adults no nothing.....

And talking about not learning how to eat junk in moderation, because some didn't have it in their house growing up, means nothing, we had junk food in our house growing up, Mom fed us a healthy dinner, (what was healthy 40 yrs ago), and we still grew up fat. So having it in the house didn't help us learn to eat it in moderation.