Can I replace bcaas with creative?

Options
So I’m new to this whole fitness thing but during my workout I sip on my BC AAs because it helps me throughout my work out but I ran out. Today is leg and butt workout and I was wondering if I can sit through my work out with creatine instead what is the difference if someone can tell me please?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Neither one alone should help you through a workout, unless there is a placebo effect. If they come as part of a drink that contains sugars or caffeine or something else, then they could... but BCAAs alone, and creatine alone, shouldn't have any impact on focus or energy levels.

Bigger picture, I'd be hesitant to take supplements until you understood what they did/helped with. Taking supplements because some article said they were good is a recipe for, at best, wasting money.

^^^ Agree
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think you aren't understanding what BCAAs or creatine are and conversely what they aren't...

Examine.com is a good resource to research supplements and it's a good idea to be clear why you feel you need anything at all and then evaluate suitable supplements to suit that goal.
    You may well decide that for 99.9% of workouts no supplements are required at all of course!

If your BCAA mix contains stimulants too then those stimulants may help give you a boost but it's not the amino acids themselves doing that.

By the way BCAAs are a really poor choice, a whey protein would (or may...) be far more beneficial, but again it's not to get you through a workout or boost energy.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    They are completely unrelated. How exactly do they get you through a workout? Besides being one hell of a tasty placebo.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Either one will do the same thing (as far as what your reasons are for taking them) - absolutely nothing.

BCAAs are essentially useless (aside from making lots of money for the supplement companies) and creatine's effects are chronic rather than acute - the benefits occur when your system is saturated with creatine in the long term, there's no 'window' for taking it.
  • jessef593
    Options
    It will forever amaze me the willingness of people to just pour unknown substances into their bodies because someone making $10 an hour tells them to. That is a smh moment if there ever was one
  • 2deltacharlie
    2deltacharlie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    It will forever amaze me the willingness of people to just pour unknown substances into their bodies because someone making $10 an hour tells them to. That is a smh moment if there ever was one

lol... yeah there is a thing called "Google". If people used it the supplement industry would go out of business.

• AnvilHead
    Options

lol... yeah there is a thing called "Google". If people used it the supplement industry would go out of business.

Depends on whether or not they know how to properly vet their sources (which many people don't).

I can pull up an awful lot of ridiculous woo from a Google search. I prefer examine.com when it comes to researching supplements.
  • jessef593
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Depends on whether or not they know how to properly vet their sources (which many people don't).

I can pull up an awful lot of ridiculous woo from a Google search. I prefer examine.com when it comes to researching supplements.

I'll have to give it a look.

I generally cross reference as many sources as possible can take a bit of time though
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    1. not everyone can filter good information from bad. Not everyone wants to spend the time it takes to do so for every decision they make.
    2. not everyone is as emotionally disconnected from the process as you seem to be.
    3. learning comes in many forms.
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'll have to give it a look.

I generally cross reference as many sources as possible can take a bit of time though

Nothing wrong with doing your homework, as long as the sources are reliable. FWIW, examine.com links to every study used to reach their findings, so they provide plenty of cross-reference material. For example, on their page about creatine, they link to 716 studies used/cited in their analysis. And they don't sell any supplements (or accept advertising from any supplement company), so that removes a potential bias as well.
  • jessef593
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    1. not everyone can filter good information from bad. Not everyone wants to spend the time it takes to do so for every decision they make.
    2. not everyone is as emotionally disconnected from the process as you seem to be.
    3. learning comes in many forms.

Savage.

What I'm referring to is when ephedrine was still a common ingredient in pre workouts. A literal amphetamine and it actually caused people to have heart attacks.

Wouldn't you say a small bit of research into what they were ignorantly putting into themselves might've been for the better?

Yes learning comes in many forms but why allow one of those forms to be you waking up in a hospital after taking too much of a suppoaed health supplement?

Emotionally disconnected, might you touch on that a bit more? It's hard to be emotionally connected to someone pouring an unknown substance into their bodies.

I'm all for spreading informative content. I want people to learn and better themselves. For them to do that though they have to actually put in the time. I've had countless people tell me I'm a fool for attempting to save them money. So yeah mildly disconnected now.