How long is reasonable to continue my bulk?

Options
I'm really living it up with eating. My progress in just over a month is I've gained about 5 lbs. The exciting thing is I've started to hit some strength personal records as a result (below, if interested). I feel strong... not too fat. My strength progress had stalled for weeks/months until I took the "lid" off eating. I'd like to continue my bulk until I hit my "1000 lbs" goal. Is that foolhardy given my age and blossoming fatness? Can I reasonably continue to "bulk" for 6 months or more? I've never had a weight "problem" and hovered around 200 lbs my entire adult life.

Height: 6'2"
Current weight: 212 lbs
Goal: 1000 lb club
BF%: I have no idea, 25%? (My waist measures about 36".. wear 32" pants).
Calorie goal: Trying to exceed 3000 daily
Health history: good, no blood pressure issue, no family history of diabetes, etc.

Personal records in past few weeks:
Squat 305x5,5,5 (lifetime best at below parallel)
Deadlift 330x5 (lifetime best using double overhand "hook" grip)
Bench Press 190x5,5,5 (finally pressing without pain after shoulder injury last year)
Overhead Press 130x5,5,5 (ditto)

Thanks for reading. Hit me with the truth, even if it hurts!

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I probably should add a note of "THANK YOU" to the regular serious contributors here. All of this "bulking" and "cutting" chat here has brought new life to my strength training regimen!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'm over four months into my current bulk and have no intentions of stopping any time soon. If you're happy and not feeling fat (usually when people stop), then by all means keep going!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you really are 25% your body fat has reached the point where you won't be as effective in adding muscle mass as if you were leaner. If you're just focused on strength it might be a good idea to put the "lid" back on the eating and at least maintain weight. You can add strength at maintenance.

You've given us numbers, but what are your current one rep maxes for squat, bench, and deadlift? How close to 1000 lbs are you?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ok, here is the truth.

Bulking increases your strength because of the improved leverage in the fat cells.

You aren't stronger because your muscles are stronger, it's because you are fatter!

This is why fat people are often surprisingly strong in certain lifts and why lifters are often encouraged to gain weight to increase their bench press.

The same way you can use a lever to lift a heavy object.

You CAN continue to up your lifts by getting even more fat. If that's what you want, go for it.

Based on the poundages you listed in your post, you can become MUCH stronger in your lifts with proper training without adding more bodyweight.

If you are not concerned with your appearance, or are satisfied with it, then perhaps gaining more weight will not make you look fat.
  • billkansas
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I never attempt one rep maxes but obviously need to. I've done 3 reps with 20 lbs more in each exercise above. So perhaps with training 1RMs I could hit 40 lbs more, which would give squat of 345, deadlift of 370, bench of 230 so 945 total. So a ways to go but I have been stuck here a long time. My workouts, rest, and everything... is never optimum, such is my life.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    You say you have been stuck there for a while. Do you follow a powerlifting or strength program that gives you numbers to hit each week?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm your age a touch taller at 236lbs. I bulk 9 months of the year. Though my bf% is prob 15-16%. Once a male gets above 18% or so fat gains will come more plentiful.

Can you bulk? Yes.
    Is it optimal? No.

I would drop weight for at least 4-5 months while lifting.

If your programming is good, you can gain strength along the way. Key is have enough volume to drive adaptation.

I'd put the 1000 club to the side and just focus on progression. Fix and form issues and keep kicking *kitten*. It will be there soon enough.

• billkansas
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Ok, here is the truth.

Bulking increases your strength because of the improved leverage in the fat cells.

You aren't stronger because your muscles are stronger, it's because you are fatter!

This is why fat people are often surprisingly strong in certain lifts and why lifters are often encouraged to gain weight to increase their bench press.

The same way you can use a lever to lift a heavy object.

You CAN continue to up your lifts by getting even more fat. If that's what you want, go for it.

Based on the poundages you listed in your post, you can become MUCH stronger in your lifts with proper training without adding more bodyweight.

If you are not concerned with your appearance, or are satisfied with it, then perhaps gaining more weight will not make you look fat.

Not sure I can agree fully with paragraph 2. My fat cells weren't the ones squeezing the bar on the deadlift (grip failed on previous two attempts). Although, maybe a placebo thing.. I feel bigger so just held on longer!
  • billkansas
    Options
    Agree fully though that this may not be solved by eating... technique and training need to improve. Felt like eating may be my silver bullet... maybe fooling myself.
  • billkansas
    Options
    I'm over four months into my current bulk and have no intentions of stopping any time soon. If you're happy and not feeling fat (usually when people stop), then by all means keep going!

Yeah, your posts here influenced my original decision to bulk. So, thank you.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I bulked for three years, then maintained at a higher weight for two years (recomposition). There's no specific time limit on it, but it is a balance between what you are hoping to accomplish and whether it's worth more fat gains. You don't need to get fatter to get stronger.
  • billkansas
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I bulked for three years, then maintained at a higher weight for two years (recomposition). There's no specific time limit on it, but it is a balance between what you are hoping to accomplish and whether it's worth more fat gains. You don't need to get fatter to get stronger.

You're right. It seems like bulking is a bit of insurance. By exceeding my calories (eating a little piggish) I can be sure I never miss some gains. I hope its not just in my mind though. Maybe I AM only getting fat and am convincing myself I'm stronger. Although, I'm filling my t-shirts sleeves like never before... oh shoot maybe this is all in my mind too. :'(
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »

You're right. It seems like bulking is a bit of insurance. By exceeding my calories (eating a little piggish) I can be sure I never miss some gains. I hope its not just in my mind though. Maybe I AM only getting fat and am convincing myself I'm stronger. Although, I'm filling my t-shirts sleeves like never before... oh shoot maybe this is all in my mind too. :'(

Nah, it's not all in your mind ;) I bulked to about 25% this last time. Looked great in shirts. Filled in the sleeves nicely and my traps looked yoked. Looked great from the front but started noticing that I looked pretty preggers from the side. Wife started poking my belly and making comments. Been cutting since December and back down low enough to see most of my abs now. However, I developed a "powah belly" this go round... that's where you can see all your abs but you still have a bit of roundness to your gut (visceral fat ftl). Annoying as hell and I'll have to cut way lower than I wanted to get rid of it. It was a fun experiment but I don't think I'd ever bulk past 18-20% again. I cut weight easily and quickly - it's just not fun and I'm sure not making any serious strength gains while I'm doing it... and although I like protein, I'm getting quite tired of so much of allotted intake being nothing but protein. lol
  • billkansas
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    billkansas wrote: »

Nah, it's not all in your mind ;) I bulked to about 25% this last time. Looked great in shirts. Filled in the sleeves nicely and my traps looked yoked. Looked great from the front but started noticing that I looked pretty preggers from the side. Wife started poking my belly and making comments. Been cutting since December and back down low enough to see most of my abs now. However, I developed a "powah belly" this go round... that's where you can see all your abs but you still have a bit of roundness to your gut (visceral fat ftl). Annoying as hell and I'll have to cut way lower than I wanted to get rid of it. It was a fun experiment but I don't think I'd ever bulk past 18-20% again. I cut weight easily and quickly - it's just not fun and I'm sure not making any serious strength gains while I'm doing it... and although I like protein, I'm getting quite tired of so much of allotted intake being nothing but protein. lol

Maybe I'll keep bulking until my wife pokes and comments. I think she especially likes it though since she is running her own bulking program while nursing our baby ;) .
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I usually bulk until I feel fat and I stop my cut when I look like I don't lift with a shirt on (but my muscles are fully defined with the abs popping) and people comment that I look like death. It's a little bit of a "bro" way of doing it, but I am lazy to measure myself and see if I am at 10% body fat or 15%, so I go with how I feel which is lazier and easier, plus I've been doing it for years, so I know when it's time to end the current phase.

The general unofficial rule for men is to bulk up to 15-17% bf and you stop your cut at 10% body fat. For women, I believe you stop your bulk at 25% body fat and stop your cut at 20% body fat if you really need a bodyfat %.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I usually bulk until I feel fat and I stop my cut when I look like I don't lift and people comment that I look like death. It's a little bit of a "bro" way of doing it, but I am lazy to measure myself and see if I am at 10% body fat or 15%, so I go with how I feel which is lazier and easier, plus I've been doing it for years.

The general unofficial rule for men is to bulk up to 15-17% bf and you stop your cut at 10% body fat. For women, I believe you bulk at 25% body fat and stop your cut at 20% body fat if you really need a bodyfat %.

This is helpful to me also.. good to know