Recovering from a stroke

Options
Hi all,

I'm a 44 year old who recently had a stroke.

I actively went to the gym prior to the stroke, never smoked, eat fairly healthy, keep active.

3 weeks after the stroke, I started back at the gym just doing light cardio and have gradually worked myself up a bit to lifting light weights again and am up to a half hour medium cardio workout.

BUT... I'm always nervous to over do it and move backwards in my recovery.

I would appreciate any suggestions on do's and don'ts for the gym after a stroke.

I'm just over two months post stroke....

I've asked my doctors, but they just give me a "safe" answer.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My friend had a stoke at a young age too. He had access to physical therapy to assist him with recovery and make sure he wasn't going too fast (like you, he was very active). Is this an option for you?
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Is this an option for you?

Physical therapy is not something I can fit in to my budget unfortunately.

I enjoy going to the gym and want to continue going, I'm just so nervous.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is this an option for you?

Physical therapy is not something I can fit in to my budget unfortunately.

I enjoy going to the gym and want to continue going, I'm just so nervous.

Sorry to hear that! I don't have any good advice, but good luck with your continued recovery and return to the gym.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I've asked my doctors, but they just give me a "safe" answer.

What is that specifically? And why not follow it?

• getskinny1973
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

All I've been told is there is "no real answer" just listen to my body.

But what if my body feels like I can run a marathon one day, that doesn't mean I should do it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

[/quote]

All I've been told is there is "no real answer" just listen to my body.

But what if my body feels like I can run a marathon one day, that doesn't mean I should do it.
    [/quote]

What are you scared of? Of having another stroke if you exercise too intensely?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly a bit surprised that your doctors aren't able to provide a referral to an in network PT.
  • getskinny1973
    Options

What are you scared of? Of having another stroke if you exercise too intensely? [/quote]

Yes..
    That is exactly what I am afraid of.

But I also don't want to be too afraid and not maximize my potential.
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you know what caused the stroke? I think in general, the more active the better when it comes to cardiovascular events and stroke, but you mentioned you were very active and healthy pre-stroke. I think it's normal to have some fear after such a big event, and obviously you don't want to go down that road again. I guess I would just take it slow, if you're taking new medications, make sure to keep taking them, and maybe look for another opinion from a different dr. or two. If you're in the US, I know that can be difficult health insurance wise. I would be willing to bet that it's insurance that is not willing to pay for PT as well.
  • getskinny1973
    Options
    hbratset wrote: »
    Do you know what caused the stroke?

They have been unable to determine the cause.

If I don't know what caused it, I have no way to know how to prevent it from happening again.

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options

If I don't know what caused it, I have no way to know how to prevent it from happening again.

It seems strange that they could not come up a cause. If you have not yet consulted w/ docs at a large referral center, it could be worth doing that. Stroke in a young person is unusual, and not expected and there should be a reason like a hypercoagulable state, vasculitis, endocarditis, other....

Most of the time in this situation, docs will place someone on anticoagulation/blood thinners to prevent another event.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

It seems strange that they could not come up a cause. If you have not yet consulted w/ docs at a large referral center, it could be worth doing that. Stroke in a young person is unusual, and not expected and there should be a reason like a hypercoagulable state, vasculitis, endocarditis, other....

Most of the time in this situation, docs will place someone on anticoagulation/blood thinners to prevent another event.

Which has as a consequence the recommendation to limit vigorous activity.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have also had a cryptogenic stroke, when I was 29. I'm 31 now, I do everything I was doing before. Although I am 59lbs lighter. My doctors never told me to limit exercise or really told me not to exercise. Every person and body is different.

ETA: as a precaution I no longer take BC with hormones. Although my doctors are not convinced that was the cause.
  • getskinny1973
    Options

[/quote]

Most of the time in this situation, docs will place someone on anticoagulation/blood thinners to prevent another event.[/quote]

I am on Aspirin as a blood thinner now

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Read the person above^^^^^^^
  • stanmann571
    edited March 2018
    Options

To clarify, aspirin does not have the same limitations as Coumadin/warfarin or Heparin/Lovenox.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

[/quote]

To clarify, aspirin does not have the same limitations as Coumadin/warfarin or Heparin/Lovenox.[/quote]

Also, dabigatran/pradaxa is commonly prescribed and doesn't have the same limitations as other blood thinners. I was on it for months, had no side effects to what I ate or my activity level but again only my experience.
  • getskinny1973
    Options
    Thank you!!