I want to lose weight and become fit!

Options
Hello everyone,

I am unsure whether this is the right place. However, as I am new I will post here.

I have finally 'hit rock bottom'! After seeing myself naked in the mirror (not a nice experience!!! :o:o:o:o ) I saw that I desperately need to lose weight and get fit. My health has been affected due to my weight. I now weigh around 23 stone :# . In my mind, I am 'thin and healthy' (Does that make any sense). After coming to terms with the fact I needed to lose weight and that I was overweight I am ready to do something about it!

A couple of years ago I joined Slimming World in the UK and lost around 7 stone, however it cost a lot of money! I stopped going and put it all back on in two months! At present, I don't have a lot of money and will NOT allow that to be an excuse!! In the past, I have lost weight for other people but not myself. Last time I thought that if I lost weight people would find me attractive. When a woman in the gym said to me she was impressed with my progress and that I was attractive I went home and ate a load of food! I realise some of this has to do with my mindset which needs to change! A good friend of mine suggested that I joined myfitnesspal to help me on with my journey. As they say in AA - 'A way of life'.

Does anyone know of any good eating plans (I refuse to call it a diet) I am a pescetarian. I have decided to wallk around 10,000 and will start tomorrow. Please could someone give me some suggesions and advice? thank you

Y

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I realize you are in the UK, but my advice would be to start today, not tomorrow. Go for a 20 minute walk this evening.

As a matter of fact, rather than going for 10k steps tomorrow, go for a little more than you generally do. If you are only getting 3k steps today, tripling that overnight could lead to injuries and frustration.

As for the diet plan, it sounds like your would benefit from incremental changes to create new habits. Change one thing today (ie, add fresh vegetables to every meal). Once that becomes a habit, make a new goal. This works for two reasons. One, focusing on the veg (or whatever you choose first) will likely have cascade effects. Not many takeaway places have appealing veg options. Once you are focused in the veg, it might pull your attention away from the chips and crisps. Second, you will build up a series of habits so that even if you slip on one thing, you haven't "failed" at the whole program.

You didn't learn anything on Slimming World that held through without the support of the program. This time, you need to build self sustaining structures. That is why we have so many maintainers still active on MFP.
  • Jenniferakajacel311
    Jenniferakajacel311 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome! MFP is a great place and a wealth of knowledge (and it's free!). Spend time reading through older posts and searching for topics. Start journaling every bite, every sip, every fruit and veggie, etc. Start reading nutrition labels and do your research. Clean out your kitchen, pantry, fridge of "red-light" foods that cause you temptation. Until you can get the grasp of this you'll need support. Surround yourself with good friends who don't tempt you either. And most importantly, schedule an appointment with your doctor to discuss this start of a new healthy life!