Plateau

Options
Hello all, going through what might be a plateau possibly. Stats: 169-170, 5,4. 1530 calories a day. Exercise 3-4 times weekly (each time walking at 3mph for 20 minutes then weights for 10 minutes). I started out losing about 2 pounds a week, even last week it was like 1.6 pounds. Then all of a sudden, nothing. It’s been just a week though. Any thoughts?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1 week is not a plateau.

abdhj0dyudkk.jpg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? If you're truly not losing, it's not being masked by water weight, and you've given it ample time, the answer is you are eating at maintenance and need to reduce calories. Take an honest look at your logging to be sure it is tight, and go from there.

If you've been in a deficit for an extended period of time, you might want to pop over to the refeeds and diet breaks thread and see if that's something you think you might benefit from.

ETA I see it's been a week. Ignore everything I said and just be patient!
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    That is a really great chart! Thank you!
    I’ve been dieting and exercising for 2 months, just this past week I haven’t lost anything
  • sportychic87
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    How long has it been since you lost weight? If you're truly not losing, it's not being masked by water weight, and you've given it ample time, the answer is you are eating at maintenance and need to reduce calories. Take an honest look at your logging to be sure it is tight, and go from there.

If you've been in a deficit for an extended period of time, you might want to pop over to the refeeds and diet breaks thread and see if that's something you think you might benefit from.

It’s been 2 months since I started and I lost under 16 pounds, then this past week I haven’t lost anything
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

It’s been 2 months since I started and I lost under 16 pounds, then this past week I haven’t lost anything

16 pounds in 2 months is an aggressive rate of loss for your height and weight. You can't expect that to continue long-term, nor would it be good for you. I often have weeks with little to no loss followed by weeks where I lose faster than I 'should' based on my calorie intake. It's usually water weight and hormonal.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    I figured it wouldn’t last and I was ok because it went down to like a 1.6 per week weight loss and then just totally stopped :( maybe it is water weight
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I figured it wouldn’t last and I was ok because it went down to like a 1.6 per week weight loss and then just totally stopped :( maybe it is water weight

Totally normal! You're off to a great start, now you just need to be patient.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    Patient? What’s that? :D
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Time of the month?
  • sportychic87
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Time of the month?

Nope, it’s not that
  • sportychic87
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Update: Scale budged. Down another 1.2 pounds. Thank goodness. Moral of the story; it had to be water retention, and I shouldn’t be weighing in daily.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Update: Scale budged. Down another 1.2 pounds. Thank goodness. Moral of the story; it had to be water retention, and I shouldn’t be weighing in daily.

It’s fine to weigh daily as long as you don’t let the fluctuations and stalls get to you. I would suggest downloading a weight tracking app (Happy Scale if you have an iPhone, Libra for Androids) and start logging in there as well. It will give you an overall trend so that the next time this happens you can see that you’re still dropping.