Pre-workout breakfast?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
Tomorrows workout combines cardio with resistance training and I was wondering if a breakfast consisting of porridge with berries, walnuts and honey or an omelette with beans would best set me up

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There is no best... it's completely personal preference. I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. Others prefer some food or coffee before - it's all up to the individual. You do what works best for you.

From an energy standpoint, your body probably doesn't actually need anything.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would not feel great doing cardio after either of those meals, but I am not you.

Do you typically eat before working out or is this a new thing for you?
  • Sunniegabrielle
    Sunniegabrielle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can't workout without having a bowl of oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 tbs chopped walnuts and 1/4 cup almond milk! It is the perfect slow releasing carbohydrate meal to get you powering through a long workout.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I would not feel great doing cardio after either of those meals, but I am not you.

I've always had breakfast because I feel better after I've eaten. I've never considered leaving breakfast until after the gym, I always thought I'd tire very quickly if I didn't put any fuel in the tank
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me I work best with high energy carbs (like candy) especially before weight training. Cardio doesn't matter. Something too high volume or fibre like oatmeal or beans would not sit well with me. But you might be different.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »

I've always had breakfast because I feel better after I've eaten. I've never considered leaving breakfast until after the gym, I always thought I'd tire very quickly if I didn't put any fuel in the tank

If you feel better after you've eaten, then you do you. :)

For me, if I had enough space between breakfast and the cardio -- I need two hours before a long run, or else things aren't pretty -- I'd go with the omelette, to get the protein in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »

If you feel better after you've eaten, then you do you. :)

For me, if I had enough space between breakfast and the cardio -- I need two hours before a long run, or else things aren't pretty -- I'd go with the omelette, to get the protein in.

Yep, the best strategy is the one that works for you.

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat before I workout. I do better when I have some calories to feed my workout. Personally, I'd choose eggs because the porridge one sounds gross. So basically, choose whichever one you like more.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same breakfast before lifting - 2 eggs and whole wheat toast or waffles
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Can't do cardio after oatmeal, lol. We're all different though.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It's really all about personal preference. Some people don't like eating before working out while others do.

I prefer eating before working out, i can sometimes feel sick or nausea if I don't.

I usually have a bowl of cereal or toast with peanut butter before working out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Personally unless my exercise is over two hours and pretty high intensity cardio I don't eat any differently - my choice of breakfast (or none at all) would be based on preference, taste, and how it fitted in my overall day.

You don't have to fuel a short workout from what you have just eaten.