Protein problem

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can get whey protein isolate (I get mine from Bulk Barn) to add to a shake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The whey you buy off the shelf in stores is loaded with a lot of fluff and filler you dont need in your diet . you can buy clean , show quality ? Protein but it's damn expensive . Real food is always a better option and allows you more control over your diet .

If you are buying whey loaded with crap fillers, you are buying the wrong kind. Also, whey protein is derived from milk. There is no reason you need to consume it pre- or post- workout. And it's a great way to get some protein in if you struggle to get a ton of volume.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Tofu, lentils, black bean spaghetti, beans of any sort, rice, oats, spinach, brocoli or cauliflower,
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The whey you buy off the shelf in stores is loaded with a lot of fluff and filler you dont need in your diet . you can buy clean , show quality ? Protein but it's damn expensive . Real food is always a better option and allows you more control over your diet .
    Not true with all whey protien. There are some really good Whey protien powder available. Real food can actually be inferior depending on if you are ingesting the recommended amounts of leucine with your protien for muscle synthesis to take place.

All in all it depends on what is actually in the whey or food. Hence why researching instead a blank statement is a good idea. I get a tub with just overy 3 grams of leucine per serving and 30 grams of protien for around $15 hardly expensive.

Also one doesn't need whey exclusively before or after workouts. One might need it if they are falling short of their macros/micros minimums of a day.

I don't use whey but a couple months a year, but it certainly isn't bad for people who follow the guidelines and use it year round.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever for real-food protein ideas, IMO:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I don't like protein powder or bars - life is too short to eat stuff I find yucky - and do like to eat a good bit of protein. The thread really helped.
  • mrcamsr01
    mrcamsr01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ensure plus or protein