How to say NO?

Options
How do you hold yourself accountable when placed in a situation that can get you off track with your diet? My number one problem is I have trouble saying no to food or unhealthy snacks (I LOVE FOOD)... What are some tricks to staying on track?

Thanks,
Haley!

Replies

• iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do everything I can to have nutritous and yummy alternatives available. If I know ahead of time, I make sure to eat before going, too. If it’s something that suddenly appears at work in front of me, I don’t let myself acknowledge that it exists. I learned not to give a rat’s behind if me repeatedly saying NO to their repeated offers of non-nutritious foods seems rude to anyone. Usually, looking them in the eye and firmly saying “no means no, even with food” shuts them up. Ultimately if I wind up eating something I did not intend to eat, I just say “okay, I did that, now keep eating the nutritious stuff.” One cupcake does not a body ruin.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    ldscott716 wrote: »
    I do everything I can to have nutritous and yummy alternatives available. If I know ahead of time, I make sure to eat before going, too. If it’s something that suddenly appears at work in front of me, I don’t let myself acknowledge that it exists. I learned not to give a rat’s behind if me repeatedly saying NO to their repeated offers of non-nutritious foods seems rude to anyone. Usually, looking them in the eye and firmly saying “no means no, even with food” shuts them up. Ultimately if I wind up eating something I did not intend to eat, I just say “okay, I did that, now keep eating the nutritious stuff.” One cupcake does not a body ruin.

I love this "no means no." I don't have any pushers around right now, but I have been known to say "It seems more rude to force someone to eat something they don't want." I have also just taken something "for later" and thrown it out. The choice probably depends on my stress and hormone levels as much as the person doing the pushing.

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ldscott716 wrote: »

Sometimes I think people keep offering those foods so they won't feel so bad about themselves eating it. Lol

Early this week I had to walk past a box of donuts about 45 times (not exaggerating) during my shift. At the end of the day I felt pretty proud I refrained. I make it a goal to kick those goodies *kitten* and show 'em who is the boss!

How true!!

OP I have a problem with this too. I work in a hospital and someone is always bringing donuts, cookies, etc., or having a birthday (which equals cake, of course!) I now log and prepare my food the night before. When I'm offered the unhealthy stuff, I politely tell them no thank you, I only eat what I bring to work. When I first started doing this the "well meaning" co-workers would try to encourage me to break my resolution. I've told some of them to their face that encouraging me to eat food I have refused is rude. I don't tell them what to eat or not, they should extend the same courtesy to me (always with a smile and a polite tone of voice, btw.) I still have to remind them sometimes but it's getting better. I feel like the "food Nazis" should not get a pass because they are "just being nice" because they're not nice. The best thing about bringing their dysfunctional behavior to their attention? They stop it when they realize that you have them figured out. Saying no gets easier with practice, too.

You also get another life lesson: You learn very quickly to stop caring what others think of you.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Thats is true....your calorie allotment is like a bank account. You either have enough money for this and that or you don't.

I love the analogy. I'm letting you know that I am "borrowing" it the next time I have to explain why I'm not eating a co-worker's birthday cake! :D
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have learned there are trigger foods where it is hard to just eat little of and even if I can fit a large portion into my calorie allotments it isn't good to do every day.

There is no such thing as 1 serving of caramel popcorn for me, it is either 5 or none. These types of foods try to stay away from most of time and then occasionally treat myself.

Chocolate on the other hand I can mostly manage portion sizes and eat it daily. However I am finding setting aside a no chocolate day helps me reset my willpower.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I find it hard when going to a friends place for dinner, for example. We have pot-lucks occasionally or barbecues. There’s ALWAYS finger food and pre dinner snacks, and I love that sort of stuff.
    So I usually do some of the below-
    - Pre-log my food for the day, the the best of my ability (much easier to do if I know what’s for dinner, which usually I can find out). I pre-log every day anyway, helps me stay on track.
    - Sit away from temptations when I’m there (like at the other end of the table to where the food is). If I have to consciously get up and move to the food in order to eat some, I find I’m less likely to do it.
    - Offer to bring a dish/ nibbles/ a dessert. That way I know exactly how many calories are in the food, which makes it easier to work out what I can eat.
    - Eat lighter on the day of/ for a couple of days before/ or exercise on the day of so I have extra calories to play with.

It’s not easy, but it’s manageable. You just have to figure out what’s going to work for you. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My mom is a food pusher. She's just doing it to be hospitable. I walk in knowing I'm going to need to say No a bunch of times. We're both fine with this.

I have asked her to stop offering me the cookies that I have a hard time saying No to even though I don't really like them, and she has cooperated.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Thats is true....your calorie allotment is like a bank account. You either have enough money for this and that or you don't.

I love the analogy. I'm letting you know that I am "borrowing" it the next time I have to explain why I'm not eating a co-worker's birthday cake! :D

No cake for me I just do not have enough in my account :D
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just say no. If people keep insisting tell them you can't eat what they are forcing on you for health/allergy reasons. When going into an unknown situation I try to take my own food along.
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you are saying- it is not easy to just say no- otherwise no one would have a weight issue! The best thing for me when I was losing weight was to imagine what the food tasted like. In other words, I love Reese's peanut butter cups. I have eaten them a million times though, and I already know how they taste. So, I would just imagine eating one. I did this for pretty much every food that did not fit in my calorie allotment, and it actually works! Now, if I still had calories to spare...I would definitely eat the peanut butter cup!

I also agree with others who suggest pre-logging for the day, especially days where you would typically go over your allotment. It sort of makes you not want to "mess it up" if that makes sense.
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    By saying YES to healthy food instead! :) Or, yes to the unhealthy food but in small amounts. Or! Getting healthier versions of my unhealthy favorites. ^-^
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I log my food at the beginning of each day with estimates of portions as I weigh as I go along. If something unplanned comes my way I will know if I have any spare calories and whether there is something I am willing to forgo in place of this item. From this I can work out if that food is worth it for me. Prelogging is my key for success.