Introductions

Options
imerivas
imerivas Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hello Friends,

Hope this finds you well. I consider myself to be a savvy, street smart lady. However, when it comes to eating and health I'm like a toddler taking my first steps. For most of my life I ate according to my finances and not according to my health needs. I have been a diabetic for over 19 years, and followed the diabetic diet since then. Six years ago, I started to use insulin on top of my pills. Three years ago, the regular insulin was changed to the concentrated form which is five times more stronger than its regular counterpart. I have been told numerous times by medical staff that I'm a "good little pill taker" because I take all of my medicine as prescribed. It wasn't until two years ago that I was informed that I was prescribed the maximum amount of all diabetic medicine legally allowed. And that I should continue the same diet and medicine. Yet my fasting A1C was at 12+. Needless to say the side effects of all that medicine devasted my body. One major side effect of the insulin is weight gain. I gained 65lbs. after starting insulin.

Two years ago, my health spiraled at which point I made a bold decision and looked for homeopathic remedies. My aunt told me about a seed that helped her during chemo. I started eating 2 moringa seeds a day. For the first time in over 19 years, my diabetic numbers started to decrease. A year later my A1C was at 7.5. In this time other medical complications arose which stemmed from taking so much medicine. I soon realized that the seeds were only a temporary fix because my numbers started to climb again. This prompted me to do more research to find a more stable solution. Fortunately, I came across a rather innovative lifestyle... the Ketogenic diet. My diabetic practioner told me that she did this diet when she trained for marathans and considered it to be safe. She told me this was exactly the extreme change I needed to control my diabetes without increasing the insulin.

As of a month ago, I started on the Keto diet. It has been a challenge since I have a sweet tooth and basically have been addicted to carbs all my life. I have not seen any weight loss but I'm confident that by tracking my food intake and excercise routine I can soon see beneficial results. This is my health story in a nut shell. I appreciate any advice. Thank you for taking time to read my story.

Best,
Mely

Replies

• imerivas
    imerivas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    In a desperate attempt to gain control of my health and extreme weight gain last November I underwent gastric bypass surgery. However, I am starting to think that it wasn't such a good decision because I have had a series of health complications. A week after surgery I developed diabetic ketoacidosis and almost died from complications. I am eleven months out and haven't seen the results I kept reading about. I have lost 65lbs (20 lbs lost pre-surgery). Currently I am having severe hypoglycemia episodes (blood sugars 35-70) throughout the day. Is anyone else having any of these issues?