Rear-Mounted Computer for Trainer

Options
mph323
mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
I hate the search function - sorry if this has been discussed extensively, maybe someone could point me to a relevant thread if so :#

I've been using my bike trainer a lot this year and following a (beginning) progressive interval training program. I'm at the point where just using cadence feedback is no longer effective, so I'm looking for a simple computer that I can attach to the rear wheel and track speed and distance. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I look online they're either not suitable for rear wheel mounting or over $100. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I had a wired Cateye bike computer at one point that took cadence and speed from a chainstay.

Long time ago now though.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm not super savvy about bike tech, but would something like this maybe work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8SJSB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have to pair it with an app on a smartphone to see the data, but I found it was easy to set up and it's pretty cheap.

~Lyssa
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    By bike trainer do you mean stationary bike or a regular bike on a trainer/turbo trainer? If you mean the latter (I'm assuming you do as you mentioned a rear wheel) then there are a plethora of options. I'm actually curious as to what you found that was deemed inappropriate for rear wheels. If you have a stationary bike (like one you would see at a gym) then it's going to be far more difficult to find something.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Actually, just occurred to me that the Wahoo speed and cadence only require a phone app. Head ends are quite pricey but those should do the trick.
  • mph323
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8SJSB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have to pair it with an app on a smartphone to see the data, but I found it was easy to set up and it's pretty cheap.

~Lyssa

Oops, should have mentioned I have an android! Thanks for the link, unfortunately this one is for an iPhone :(
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Oops, should have mentioned I have an android! Thanks for the link, unfortunately this one is for an iPhone :(

Darn! I see reviews there that say it works with an Android if you use the suggested app (ALA Coach). Not sure what the return policy is, but if you can return it without issue it could be worthwhile to get it and try.

~Lyssa
  • mph323
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    By bike trainer do you mean stationary bike or a regular bike on a trainer/turbo trainer? If you mean the latter (I'm assuming you do as you mentioned a rear wheel) then there are a plethora of options. I'm actually curious as to what you found that was deemed inappropriate for rear wheels. If you have a stationary bike (like one you would see at a gym) then it's going to be far more difficult to find something.

I have my road bike on an indoor trainer. The problem I'm having with my road computer is that when the magnet is on the rear wheel, it's too far away for the computer to sense it. I've seen several on Amazon that potentially could work, but I was hoping someone who is using that kind of setup would share their experience :) The comments are often mixed as far as whether the wireless computers have the range to sense the magnet on the rear wheel, or the wired versions have long enough wires.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what kind of computer are you using now for your bike? because all wireless ones should have enough output to reach a sensor mounted on rear tire - I've always had a rear tire mounted sensor for speed and cadence with zero issues
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my current set up is a bontrager node 1.2 with a rear mounted sensor - i have a trek so its built into the frame - but you can get external ones
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    In the past I've used Garmin cadence sensor paired with my phone and the wahoo fitness app. Worked well for me, and I don't see why you couldn't use the speed and cadence sensors.

Only thing to watch for is if the sensors are Bluetooth or Ant, and whether or not that works with your phone. Bluetooth is pretty universal, I'm not sure about Ant and cell phones.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    The only wireless sensors I've had have been either ANT+ or bluetooth and ANT+ and I've never had issues. Like jjpptt2 said, Bluetooth will be more universal in terms of phones as there are only a handful of brands that put ant+ sensors in their phones (you can check which ones have it on thisisant.com). Not all bike computers have the ability to receive bluetooth signals but enough do that it's a matter of just checking if the one you're interested in does.

For reference I currently use the Wahoo speed and cadence sensors that attach to your hub and crank arm respectively.