Lean enough?

Options
Am I lean enough to run a bulk? I lost weight last year and have been in maintenance/recomp since July. My butt is smaller than I would like and I'm not sure if it will grow in maintenance. If I do run a bulk I'm not planning on starting until late summer/fall because I go to the pool a lot and want to look good for the summer. Here are my photos.

http://imgur.com/GwCtpK7
http://imgur.com/WiLp9vk

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It seems reasonable that you could run one at your current bf%.

• martyFul
    martyFul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Going to need pics to accurately judge the situation
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    martyFul wrote: »

The links are pics
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    martyFul wrote: »

Pics are linked in the OP.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can feel comfortable with a few extra pounds go for it. The ideal cut/bulk range is a matter of preference. For me I cut in summer until abs are visible and in winter I go till they disappear.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    If you feel like you can feel comfortable with a few extra pounds go for it. The ideal cut/bulk range is a matter of preference. For me I cut in summer until abs are visible and in winter I go till they disappear.

Exactly....sure there are unofficial guidelines, it is suggested that women stop their cut at 20%bf and stop their bulk at 25% body fat....for men, cutting should stop at 10% and bulking should stop at 15-17%. I do not follow those guidelines since I have a small thin body frame, so if I were to cut up to 10% body fat, I look like I don't lift. So I prefer to end my cut somewhere 12-13% body fat and I usually end my bulk somewhere around 18-20% body fat just because I like how massive I look at that point even if the definition is almost gone.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Bodyfat % - wise, sure you could definitely run a bulk. I know you have been back and forth a while and it can be difficult deciding what to do when you get to a certain point.

I will ask you this.... do you think you are mentally ready to gain weight? You will gain some fat, there can be bloat which can make it feel even worse. The scale will be going up. You may have doubts. You might be tempted to do more exercise or eat less when the going gets tough. It can become very uncomfortable. If you think you are ready to take the plunge though, go for it!

• BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Rose18l wrote: »

Exactly....sure there are unofficial guidelines, it is suggested that women stop their cut at 20%bf and stop their bulk at 25% body fat....for men, cutting should stop at 10% and bulking should stop at 15-17%. I do not follow those guidelines since I have a small thin body frame, so if I were to cut up to 10% body fat, I look like I don't lift. So I prefer to end my cut somewhere 12-13% body fat and I usually end my bulk somewhere around 18-20% body fat just because I like how massive I look at that point even if the definition is almost gone.

These guidelines are hard for me because I don't know by bf%. My scale says one number and the caliper another so I have no idea.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Don’t rely on those things, just go by your image in the mirror.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Bodyfat % - wise, sure you could definitely run a bulk. I know you have been back and forth a while and it can be difficult deciding what to do when you get to a certain point.

I will ask you this.... do you think you are mentally ready to gain weight? You will gain some fat, there can be bloat which can make it feel even worse. The scale will be going up. You may have doubts. You might be tempted to do more exercise or eat less when the going gets tough. It can become very uncomfortable. If you think you are ready to take the plunge though, go for it!

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. This is why if I do go for it I'll wait until after the summer. I will have also been at maintenance for over a year. It does scare me to think of gaining weight but at the same time my dream body requires more muscle than I have. I think more muscle will help tighten my lower abdomen as well (of course it probably won't be noticable until I lean out again). You have such a great attitude about bulking and cutting and staying positive, very inspiring.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Bulking can be really difficult mentally. My longest previous bulks only lasted four months because I got to a place where I couldn't deal with how fat I thought I'd gotten. This time, I'm four months in and still have an additional 9 lbs I want to gain before stopping. I usually start been 16-17% body fat.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    Bulking can be really difficult mentally. My longest previous bulks only lasted four months because I got to a place where I couldn't deal with how fat I thought I'd gotten. This time, I'm four months in and still have an additional 9 lbs I want to gain before stopping. I usually start been 16-17% body fat.

How do you measure your bf%? I think this is where I feel hung up. I don't think I see my body accurately and the two methods of measuring I have done have been consistently different by about 5%.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. This is why if I do go for it I'll wait until after the summer. I will have also been at maintenance for over a year. It does scare me to think of gaining weight but at the same time my dream body requires more muscle than I have. I think more muscle will help tighten my lower abdomen as well (of course it probably won't be noticable until I lean out again). You have such a great attitude about bulking and cutting and staying positive, very inspiring.

That is usually the driving force that keeps me going through the bulks. It is hard, especially at first, but once you successfully run a few of them you start to trust the process (a bit more).

I don't measure my bodyfat% at all. I use those photos to "guesstimate" but basically when I see adequate definition (in my back, abs, quads, glutes), and I am getting so lean that my problem areas aren't getting better, and it seems I start to lose muscle, that is when it's time to gain. However... deciding when to start your first bulk can sometimes be the most difficult because you don't have that muscle base and the definition may not be as apparent. So that is why the mirror and bodyfat % can be tricky!

How much weight have you gained so far? I can usually only do 10-12lbs per bulk so I have to split it up into smaller cycles. I am nearing at the upper end right now and pushing to 14lbs.. .. it is very uncomfortable for me! I think you are still very lean right, so that helps.

• Davidsdottir
    Options

How do you measure your bf%? I think this is where I feel hung up. I don't think I see my body accurately and the two methods of measuring I have done have been consistently different by about 5%.

I do Bodpod. There's a university 7 minutes from my house that does it, so it's really convenient.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

That is usually the driving force that keeps me going through the bulks. It is hard, especially at first, but once you successfully run a few of them you start to trust the process (a bit more).

I don't measure my bodyfat% at all. I use those photos to "guesstimate" but basically when I see adequate definition (in my back, abs, quads, glutes), and I am getting so lean that my problem areas aren't getting better, and it seems I start to lose muscle, that is when it's time to gain. However... deciding when to start your first bulk can sometimes be the most difficult because you don't have that muscle base and the definition may not be as apparent. So that is why the mirror and bodyfat % can be tricky!

How much weight have you gained so far? I can usually only do 10-12lbs per bulk so I have to split it up into smaller cycles. I am nearing at the upper end right now and pushing to 14lbs.. .. it is very uncomfortable for me! I think you are still very lean right, so that helps.

I've gained 10 lbs in the last 4.5 months. Started at 126 and am sitting at 136.6 as of this morning. I had a Bodpod done last month and was still between 18 and 19% so I'm doing this much cleaner than usual. I'm going to try to get up to 145 lbs, and then probably recomp from there.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I've gained 10 lbs in the last 4.5 months. Started at 126 and am sitting at 136.6 as of this morning. I had a Bodpod done last month and was still between 18 and 19% so I'm doing this much cleaner than usual. I'm going to try to get up to 145 lbs, and then probably recomp from there.

Ahh yes you are very lean still. I have been bulking around 5 months too. My pants don't fit anymore so it's almost time to call it quits for me lol
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Ahh yes you are very lean still. I have been bulking around 5 months too. My pants don't fit anymore so it's almost time to call it quits for me lol

My work pants don't fit well, but my jeans still do. I have stretchy skirts and dresses too, so I'm going to keep going.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options

How tall are you?
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    edited March 2018
    Options

See, this is where I think I am. I actually lost about 1-1.5 pounds since January, this is based on my Libra trend, and I think my lower belly looks worse. Probably a lack of muscle there.

• Davidsdottir
    Options

How tall are you?

I'm 5'5.5"