Are you confused and discouraged?

Options
Are you guys on some specific diet or simply follow kcals? I got slammed with info tonight how I need to shift to LCHF if I want to see any results, quit fruits etc. Is that true? Are you doing it?

They really discouraged me. I eat healthy, clean, and zero processed junk. I do cardio 3x week and now I added 2 strength workouts a week too. I'd be happy to go down 1lb/0.5kg a week so I keep my kcals at 1300.

But now this LCHF limit-all-carbs thing just got me confused. Am I doing it wrong?

Replies

• dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am on LCHF to lose weight due to insulin resistance. I have found it very easy to stick to as I still get to eat a lot of the foods I most like. While I love pasta and bread, I find that I don't miss eating them. So much so I went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant that has the most amazing pasta and pizzas and was content to eat some delicious scampi, broccolini and a side salad. As with any weight loss journey it is a matter of finding what works for you. LCHF isn't for everyone but there is an increasing amount of research coming out, so it is just a matter of doing your homework before deciding if it is the eating plan for you. I am 61, female and started at 92.8kg (I am in Australia so we run on the metric system) in November last year. I currently weigh 73.6kg and my insulin resistance has disappeared with fasting BGL down from 6.7mmol/L to 4.3mmol/L.

Good luck on your journey whichever road you use to get to where you want to be.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    makinica wrote: »
    Are you guys on some specific diet or simply follow kcals? I got slammed with info tonight how I need to shift to LCHF if I want to see any results, quit fruits etc. Is that true? Are you doing it?

They really discouraged me. I eat healthy, clean, and zero processed junk. I do cardio 3x week and now I added 2 strength workouts a week too. I'd be happy to go down 1lb/0.5kg a week so I keep my kcals at 1300.

But now this LCHF limit-all-carbs thing just got me confused. Am I doing it wrong?

Carbs are not going to keep you from losing weight. I have eaten around 50% carbs on avg daily since new years eve and I have lost close to 24 pounds.

If eating carbs in your diet causes weight gain, everyone on this good earth that eats carbs would be overweight.

How you lose weight is to eat enough calories to stay healthy but with enough of a calorie deficit to lose weight.

If you do endurance or cardio activities, carbs provide vital energy/fuel to do those things.

Focus on complex carbs and limit simple carbs. But don't toss carbs out because someone says you should.
  • Stuffielover
    Stuffielover Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Discouraged? Absolutely. Couldn't find strength training to meet my needs and in pretty bad of putting weight on. Been losing this week instead.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sounds like you've been struck by a ketovangelist - one of the ones who treat keto as the One True Religion rather than what it is - one possible method of creating a caloric deficit for weight loss, which is no more or less effective than any other method.

No, you don't need to shift to LCHF to lose weight. Many people (myself included) have been quite successful without doing so. It's helpful if you find fatty foods satiating (since a ketogenic macro distribution is mostly fat), because it can help you stick to your calorie goals and not feel hungry - but if you're not one of those people who are satiated by fat, it can be a nightmare. Fat is very calorie dense and you can rack up a lot of calories in a hurry eating mostly fatty foods. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, not by eating less carbs.

Think about it for a minute: If the miracle claims of ketovangelists were true, there would be no skinny vegans, would there? (I'm not vegan either, but just saying).