Suggestions on what to do with lentils? I want to love them.

Options

Replies

• abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to pick some of these recipes and just try a bunch all week. I'm bound to find something I love.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I was inspired by this thread to make something with my chana dal. Last night I made stuffed peppers with yellow lentils, ground turkey, spinach and feta cheese. They turned out great! You could leave out the ground meat and cheese if you wanted to make them vegan.

elxzprdkp9xa.jpg

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    All this talk about lentils, so I made a big pot today and had them with pasta. I use dried lentils, rinse them, add clean water and cook on low heat until tender. When cooked I add salt. Then I finely chop garlic, carrots, onion, celery, and parsley and saute' a few minutes in olive oil on low heat. Then I add the cooked lentils, pureed tomatoes, sage, oregano, a bay leaf or two, pepper, paprika, and some type of hot sauce. Add salt to taste. I cook it all on very low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Then I cook my pasta al dente and add lentils. This is always a big hit. You can eat the lentils plain or with rice, or toasted bread. I make a lot so I have leftovers and freeze some to pull out on a day when I don't have time to cook.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i sprout them!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    i sprout them!

That's interesting! Will they still sprout if they are split like the yellow ones or split peas?
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I mad this last week and it was amazing.
    http://www.radiantrachels.com/easy-couscous-lentils-roasted-vegetables/

This is my go-to for prepared weekday lunches
    http://www.asprinkleofthyme.com/2013/02/20/crock-pot-lentil-soup/
    Pretty sure it's only like 1500 calories for the entire crock pot but it's so filling and delicious
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I tweaked a soup recipe I had found and it is beyond delicious. It ends with Dijon being stirred in and it gives it the perfect pucker of zing!

Tangy Lentil Soup
    Ingredients
    • 1 T Better than Bullion Vegetable Base
    • 1 medium onion, diced
    • 2 stalks celery, diced
    • 2 carrots, diced
    • 3 T tomato paste
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced
    • 6 cups water
    • 1 ½ cups dried brown lentils
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 T dried parsley
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp black pepper
    • 2 T Dijon mustard

Preparation
    Heat and blend the Better than Bullion base with ¼ cup water in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion, celery, and carrots; saute for 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and minced garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add water, lentils, bay leaves, parsley, salt and pepper; bring mixture to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer mixture for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, discard the bay leaves and stir in Dijon mustard.

I also make a cold lentil salad that is zesty yummy with aged Balsamic:

2-2-1 Lentil Salad

Vinaigrette:
    2 T. Balsamic Vinegar
    2 T. Dijon
    1 T. Agave
    ½ tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
    4 black pepper grinds

Whisk everything together.

Salad:
    2 cups cooked brown lentils, drained
    1 small onion, diced
    1 roma tomato, diced
    1 small bell pepper, diced
    1 cup packed spinach leaves, stems removed, chiffonade cut

Stir everything together and enjoy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I'm craving lentils. What's weird is that the only one time I've cooked with them, the meal was awful. It was a lentil and veggie soup recipe I found on Pinterest and it tasted like bland dirt. And while I love love love northern Indian food, the first time I had southern Indian it was a lentil curry and I hated it. What are your favorite ways to use lentils? I was thinking a sausage and lentil soup...? Suggestions very welcome!!

I love lentils...but they are inherently earthy...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    All this talk about lentils, so I made a big pot today and had them with pasta. I use dried lentils, rinse them, add clean water and cook on low heat until tender. When cooked I add salt. Then I finely chop garlic, carrots, onion, celery, and parsley and saute' a few minutes in olive oil on low heat. Then I add the cooked lentils, pureed tomatoes, sage, oregano, a bay leaf or two, pepper, paprika, and some type of hot sauce. Add salt to taste. I cook it all on very low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Then I cook my pasta al dente and add lentils. This is always a big hit. You can eat the lentils plain or with rice, or toasted bread. I make a lot so I have leftovers and freeze some to pull out on a day when I don't have time to cook.

This reminds me (how could I have forgotten?!): Koshari!! Essentially, rice and pasta with lentils and chickpeas, topped with grilled or fried onions and a thick, spicy tomato sauce. Sooo good.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    wow what great ideas!!!!!
  • 4acast
    4acast Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I once at a delicious lentil soup but all I remember is that it had some sort of tomato base and it had BACON. YUM. Too bad I can't remember what else it had.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in stock (beef or chicken) and plenty of salt, a bit of olive oil, and then add whatever herbs I'm in the mood for, often it's thyme and rubbed sage. I love lentils, I don't get the "dirt" taste, but maybe I like the way dirt tastes? You need to use savory herbs with them and some oil to carry it, like an olive oil. My partner isn't too fond of them, but he's notoriously picky with foods. They are also good cooked with some ham like any other bean or split peas. Maybe try the red ones instead of the dark brown ones? I think those have less flavor in general, and maybe that's the flavor you find dirt-like.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First successful lentil recipe!

I made this (minus the pepper and mustard seeds because I didn't have any)...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/winner-aarti-sequeira1/mums-everyday-red-lentils-recipe-1921913

wmtiysr1x2p3.jpg

That's not the best picture but it sure was tasty with some roti. It was so quick and easy to make and I'll absolutely be making it again. My husband spent 18 years in Asia and said it tasted like it was missing something but he couldn't quite pin down what it was.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I just throw some in with an ordinary beef or chicken stew.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Herbed lentil rice casserole is so yummy. This recipe was originally published in the 1980s in Better Homes & Gardens mag and I've made it ever since.
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/herbed-lentils-and-rice-casserole-51887721
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I love this vegan eggplant lentil recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/lentil-eggplant-lasagna/

The ingredients list looks long, but it’s easy and comes together pretty fast. The hardest part is slicing eggplant. It’s also low calorie and filling.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This one looks really good, I'm going to put it on the meal plan for next week!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/07/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-lentils/
  • jimicidal
    jimicidal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of this to have on hand, then just add some kind of protein depending on the meal. It's a good nutritious filler for salads or burritos or whatever, just don't forget to season it

1/4 lb dry lentils
    1/4 lb dry split peas
    1 lb dry black beans
    1 lb quinoa
    1/2 lb hemp seed hearts

I make the peas and lentils in one pot, beans in another, and quinoa in another, then combine everything in a mixing bowl. I call this mixture "beanoa". It's not exactly quick and easy, but super handy to make ahead of time.

I also make a big batch of taco meat out of ground turkey [drain it well, do not overcook] and add lots of mild and hot peppers, onions, garlic, chili powder, cilantro, radicchio, lime juice, salt and pepper.

The meat and beanoa go great together with spinach for a burrito bowl that has tons of protein, fiber, vitamins and iron; Or I'll have a bowl of this beanoa in the morning with eggs and bacon. You can also eat it with fish or chicken and veggies - it just kind of makes clean eating extremely easy.

Badia Complete Seasoning - This stuff is great, by the way.
  • jvjlarsen
    jvjlarsen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have made Rachel Ray’s Lentil Soup with Kale and Sausage and it is awesome. My family loves it, even the picky eaters.