Good leg workouts??

Options
Hello! I’ve recently started going to the gym and I’ve found some great arm and chest exercises, but I’m having trouble finding things to do for my legs other than squats and lunges. I use the machines but I really want to move and I like using weights. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love step ups, weighted step ups on a bench, stiff leg deadlifts with dumbbells, regular deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, Bulgarian split squats, glute bridges, banded shuffles... I could go on, I LOVE training legs!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’ve recently started going to the gym and I’ve found some great arm and chest exercises, but I’m having trouble finding things to do for my legs other than squats and lunges. I use the machines but I really want to move and I like using weights. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Some cardio excercise can help. Like elliptical, and stationary bikes. Recumbent versions of those two can be used if needed.

I find swimming has really made my legs and ankles stronger and more flexible. Swimming uses so many muscles, making it a great excercise activity to become more fit.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Walking on an elevated treadmill is good too. But mostly what @merbear787 said.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are excellent, and there are a number of varieties of each if you want more variety. Step-ups are also good. Don't dismiss the machines - leg press, hack squat especially. These area all quad-dominant exercises

Then there are deadlifts (and all its versions), good mornings, glute/ham raise, and calf raises - the work the back of your legs (and back).

If your gym has the equipment, sled/prowler work can be good.

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sets and Reps Vary Each week as do weights used but this is what I have been doing.

5 Min Bike
    Squats
    Leg Curls
    60 Crunches
    Leg Extensions
    Calf Raises 3 X 25
    60 Seated Tucks L/R/C
    Split Squats (Stand on two benches one foot on each and squat down, weight held between feet and lowered between benches)
    Individual Leg Mule Kicks using cable machine
    60 Supine Bike
    Straight Leg Deads
    Box Squats
    60 Situps

I also run the day before and after. Usually Sprints and Stairs the day before and a Recovery 5K the day after.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently started going to the gym and I’ve found some great arm and chest exercises, but I’m having trouble finding things to do for my legs other than squats and lunges. I use the machines but I really want to move and I like using weights.

Self-designed workouts usually end up imbalanced, so it's almost always best to follow a full-body program designed by a pro. Popular programs include NROLFW and Stronglifts 5x5. More options are here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    Another option is to hire a good personal trainer.
    :+1: