Do u drink coffee before workout?

I wake up at 5ish wash change and workout , I would like to increase the intensity of my workouts but i find it very difficult, 20 minutes routine is already so hard ! Hi
So I'm thinking do I need breakfast? Should I at leadt have a cuppa coffee?
Tips welcome!!

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    You can try to have coffee before working out and see how you feel, if it gives you that extra push. I like to have coffee beforehand often, but not always, and i noticed that just coffee and nothing else and a workout sometimes equals to a very unpleasant heartburn during it, but i love coffee and drink a few cups a day. There's nothing wrong with doing it either way, so whatever gives you better results.
  • Siobhan256
    Siobhan256 Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2018
    I always have an almond milk coffee - like you I train at 5am. I wondered if I’d get more out of my training by eating something prior but I tend to find that I struggle if I haven’t had a decent dinner the night before. I can’t eat at 4.30am.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    I train in the evening after work I eat my protein shake meal and take a caffeine tablet (200mg) before gym. If you can manage without, train, but most folks need some energy in the system before training...especially if lifting heavy...
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 330 Member
    I always have coffee made with milk first thing in the morning else I can't do anything. I also get up around 5ish.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I never drank coffee before going to the gym-pool at 8:30 in the morning. I have a light breakfast at 7:15. After reading on the forums that coffee gives a boost to a workout--I tried it. Yes it does. Now after breakfast on workout days I have a small cup before heading out the door.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I like coffee and a light breakfast before hitting the gym. Black coffee, oatmeal and skim milk. My gym opens at 5:30 so I can get this in and be there at opening time on weekdays. I do add a little ice to my coffee to cool it down so I can drink it right away, but usually drink it black (there is baileys in it right now).
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I prefer plain black coffee.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,791 Member
    I eat lightly, but don't drink coffee until after. Coffee is not excessively diuretic for me, but on top of the liquids in breakfast (milk, kefir) and the 24oz of water I always drink first thing, there could be a tipping point. It would be especially inconvenient on rowing days, when I'm out on the water for an hour and a half.
  • NARudy
    NARudy Posts: 33 Member
    mita271 wrote: »
    I wake up at 5ish wash change and workout , I would like to increase the intensity of my workouts but i find it very difficult, 20 minutes routine is already so hard ! Hi
    So I'm thinking do I need breakfast? Should I at leadt have a cuppa coffee?
    Tips welcome!!

What time do you go to bed? If you're not getting 7 hours of sleep or so, maybe that's the issue? Maybe go to bed earlier or get up later.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Awesome advice here
    I will try to add coffee and see
    Im a big coffee drinker so that says it all ...
  • Priyaalex2017
    Priyaalex2017 Posts: 1 Member
    I have tried working out without coffee for 2 Days. But after taking coffee I can push myself harder. Coffee makes difference.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    I always have coffee, and maybe a small protein shake. Empty stomach workouts don’t work for me.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    I don't drink coffee at all.