Make up the calories burnt in exercise?

Options
Hi all!
So I've been following a 1.200 calories system for the past two weeks.
I eat around 900-1100 everyday, however when I add my exercises (gym activity) I get about 400 calories extra!
The app says I have to eat them! So I'd be eating 1600 calorie in reality? Does this make sense to you?
Am I supposed to make up for the calories l burn exercising?

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Mirita09 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    So I've been following a 1.200 calories system for the past two weeks.
    I eat around 900-1100 everyday, however when I add my exercises (gym activity) I get about 400 calories extra!
    The app says I have to eat them! So I'd be eating 1600 calorie in reality? Does this make sense to you?
    Am I supposed to make up for the calories l burn exercising?

You can eat your target of 1200 plus some or all of your excercise kcals. Many folks eat at least 50% of their excercise kcals back.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation

Watch this. It’s especially important to eat them when you’re on 1200 calories.
  • Mirita09
    Mirita09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have actually been eating 800 calories without counting the exercise, with it it's about 300 calories..
    I don't feel hungry or tired however..

I'm just having a hard time finding healthy sources of calories, since l used to eat 3000 calories of junk food with 2 or 3 bars of chocolate..

Is it really dangerous to eat below 1200 if I don't even feel tired or hungry tho?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Read the first post of this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1 there are consequences to repeated under eating.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have actually been eating 800 calories without counting the exercise, with it it's about 300 calories..

I'm just having a hard time finding healthy sources of calories, since l used to eat 3000 calories of junk food with 2 or 3 bars of chocolate..

Is it really dangerous to eat below 1200 if I don't even feel tired or hungry tho?

Not Good. As Malibu mentioned, this can lead to serious health issues, up to and including...death.

If you struggle because you feel full, try replacing some of your foods with calorie dense alternatives, like nuts, peanut butter, ice cream. You're on a very slippery slope.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Also, you will feel ok...until you don't, so start making changes now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Does basically eating only 300 calories sound healthy to you? Long term, this is going to lead to all kinds of nastiness...hair falling out, loss of menstrual cycle, muscle loss, *kitten* up hormones, jacked up metabolism, etc...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1