i gained 10 in a week?

i weighed myself and turned out i gained 10 pounds in a week! is that possible? i haven’t been eating so so much, in fact there have been weeks where i had eaten way more and i didn’t gain nearly this much weight. i don’t know what to do to try and get back down to my normal weight. please help!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    PMS?
    Extra sodium?
    Constipated?
    Extra carbs?

Unless you were totally winging it this week, just follow your usual program and see what happens next week.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    We're going to need more information to try to help you.
    Where you using the same scale on the same flooring?
    Are you female?
    Where you weighing under the same condition as usual?
    Did you happen to have a higher than average sodium intake? Sore muscles?
    Does your scale need batteries?
    Have you been weighing and logging your foods and drinks accurately?
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well, in order to gain 10 lbs of fat/muscle in a week, you would have had to have eaten like 35,000 calories above maintenance, so I doubt it's that. It's most likely water weight, stomach content, intestinal content, or a combination thereof.

Still, it might be a good time to tighten up on your logging. Are you using a food scale, and weighing everything? If not, you may be eating more than you think.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Did you log everything you ate last week?
    Weight fluctuates alot as it is and the heavier people are the more it can fluctuate imo. I'm tiny and can fluctuate by up to 4lbs because of a high sodium/high carb meal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    This could be a lot of things. Unless you're eating WAY over your calorie goal, it's probably not all fat. More likely, it's water fluctuation, but that is affected by many things folks have already asked about: very intense exercise, menstrual cycle if you're female, eating very differently than you usually do, food and waste in your digestive tract, etc. I typically see about a two pound increase after a meal or two in a restaurant, for example, and I've had up to eight pounds of water retention after running a half marathon.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I did that in January. Not to be gross, but it was all poop and water. I knew it couldn't be fat - I logged too carefully and I've been doing this a long time. I saw a doctor, started exercising, upped fiber, lowered salt, took some probiotics, and, not to put too fine a point on it - I'm fine.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Is the OP coming back to hear the responses I wonder?