water

Options
do all liquids count on your water count?

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    yes, and the water content of foods counts too.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

Water from food doesn't amount to as much as you would think, unless you eat a heck of a lot of fruit n veg. If you think about how much you have to add to get a decent sized glass of juice it's quite a lot and most people don't eat that anywhere near that amount.
  • bulldog2006x
    bulldog2006x Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    so my coffee or rare bottle of pop or tea counts on your water?
  • DarkShilen
    DarkShilen Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Yes it does
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Sure! Just because you put something in water doesn't mean the water is no longer there. Once you drink it, your body will separate out all the "stuff" and use the water.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Water from food doesn't amount to as much as you would think, unless you eat a heck of a lot of fruit n veg. If you think about how much you have to add to get a decent sized glass of juice it's quite a lot and most people don't eat that anywhere near that amount.

From the USDA Nutrient Database

A navel orange is 85% water by weight (for the edible parts -- not including peel). Just because you can't extract it by juicing doesn't mean it isn't there.

A banana is 75% water by weight.

Cooked medium grain rice is about two-thirds water by weight.

Cooked lentils, about 70% water by weight.

Roasted chicken breast -- generally thought of as on the "dry" side -- is 65% water by weight.

Even pita bread, which I'm guessing most people don't think of as a "moist" food, is 32% water by weight.

According to the National Academies of Science,
    U.S. survey data found that water in food provided approximately 19% of total water intake.

19% isn't much and I'm guessing that 19% includes a normal balanced diet, which most people don't have.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

A navel orange is 85% water by weight (for the edible parts -- not including peel). Just because you can't extract it by juicing doesn't mean it isn't there.

Roasted chicken breast -- generally thought of as on the "dry" side -- is 65% water by weight.

Even pita bread, which I'm guessing most people don't think of as a "moist" food, is 32% water by weight.

U.S. survey data found that water in food provided approximately 19% of total water intake.

19% isn't much and I'm guessing that 19% includes a normal balanced diet, which most people don't have.

Based on the totals listed at the same place in the NAS volume, 19% would be just under two cups for women and just over two cups for men.

If it's based on survey data, how it could it reflect something that "most people don't have."
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    NO! You can't count caffeinated beverages as 'water' as those drinks DO dehydrate. Any doctor can tell you that much! You need to drink more water to make up for those caffeinated beverages. I know, I used to drink way too much caffeine and was dehydrated a lot.

The water content of coffee and other caffeine containing beverage far exceeds the extremely modest dehydrating effect of the caffeine they contain, so no they don't dehydrate.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11022872
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3886980/

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you drink olive oil that doesn't count
  • bulldog2006x
    bulldog2006x Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! Except for the olive oil one! lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    NO! You can't count caffeinated beverages as 'water' as those drinks DO dehydrate. Any doctor can tell you that much! You need to drink more water to make up for those caffeinated beverages. I know, I used to drink way too much caffeine and was dehydrated a lot.
    goatg wrote: »
    Your pee should be a light yellow.

If it has notable caffeine it doesn’t count.

This myth persists even though it's been scientifically disproven. Caffeinated drinks have a diuretic effect roughly equivalent to that of plain water. They do not adversely affect hydration.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
    Abstract
    Recreational enthusiasts and athletes often are advised to abstain from consuming caffeinated beverages (CB). The dual purposes of this review are to (a) critique controlled investigations regarding the effects of caffeine on dehydration and exercise performance, and (b) ascertain whether abstaining from CB is scientifically and physiologically justifiable. The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention. Further, tolerance to caffeine reduces the likelihood that a detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalance will occur. The scientific literature suggests that athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not incur detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalances if they consume CB in moderation and eat a typical U.S. diet. Sedentary members of the general public should be a less risk than athletes because their fluid losses via sweating are smaller.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

If you don't have a balanced diet you have more problems then water intake...