What the deal with larabars?

Options
Hey everyone. So I normally wake up pretty late in the afternoon, around 11 or 12. I get up and ready for the gym, but I don’t like eating a full meal before I go, so I normally have a larabar on the way to the gym. It fits into my food plan, and it keeps me full long enough and gives me enough energy. However, I’ve been hearing really mixed reviews from everyone I talk to about them. So, what’s the general consensus?

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy them, eat them...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...It fits into my food plan, and it keeps me full long enough and gives me enough energy....
    Then I don't see a problem with them.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I have been since i started my diet on MFP in July 2016. I prefer the 90-110 mini bars, but sometimes have the full bars. A couple of bites (mini bars) will stave off the hunger until I can get a real meal and they are easy to carry and eat on the go. I sometimes have only a few minutes to eat something and cannot eat a piece of fruit or messy snack. I don't think they are that tasty, and for anyone who likes sweets, they are not the greatest. But for the reason, I will never overeat LaraBars!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Sounds like LaraBars work for you, so no need for you to make any changes.

I would overeat them, so don't keep them around.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I eat Larabars occasionally as a convenience. Most of the flavors I eat are just a mix of fruits and nuts. I don't understand why that would be a problem, so long as you don't have allergies to the ingredients and they're not causing other issues for you (e.g., spiking your blood sugar too much if you're a diabetic).

But since when is 11 or 12 "late in the afternoon"?
  • KWheelhouse19
    KWheelhouse19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat Larabars occasionally as a convenience. Most of the flavors I eat are just a mix of fruits and nuts. I don't understand why that would be a problem, so long as you don't have allergies to the ingredients and they're not causing other issues for you (e.g., spiking your blood sugar too much if you're a diabetic).

But since when is 11 or 12 "late in the afternoon"?

Haha I meant to say late morning, and was also thinking about going to the gym in the afternoon and didn’t proof read
  • Xxjayxxxxx
    Xxjayxxxxx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Do bars stop you wanting sweets and chocolate.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If they fit in your calorie plan, then go for it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I eat them. I have been since i started my diet on MFP in July 2016. I prefer the 90-110 mini bars, but sometimes have the full bars. A couple of bites (mini bars) will stave off the hunger until I can get a real meal and they are easy to carry and eat on the go. I sometimes have only a few minutes to eat something and cannot eat a piece of fruit or messy snack. I don't think they are that tasty, and for anyone who likes sweets, they are not the greatest. But for the reason, I will never overeat LaraBars!!

I agree with this. I just bought a box of 18 Larabars yesterday because it's something that my husband and I can both "leave alone" but it still curbs our sweets cravings. We'll brew some hot tea and split one after lunch for "dessert" but the beauty of it for us is that we're neither one gonna overeat them. Cookies will last us a few days but this box of Larabars will probably see us into summer...

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hmm, what is a larabar??
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Key Lime Pie is my fav.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I haven't tried the Key Lime. I bought the Strawberry Chocolate chip and at first I didn't like it, but then it grew on me. It calms the chocolate monster yet, there's no way I want to eat more than one at a time!! I just bought today the Cinammon Roll and Cherry pie ones, which I haven't tried before. My favorites have been the peanut butter cookie, cashew cookie and peanut butter chocolate chip.

The Lara Bar: https://www.larabar.com/
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think they are delicious, but they make me hungrier. Cherry pie is my favorite and is delicious with coffee.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't personally care for them, but if they work for you I don't see any reason not to eat them unless they're all you're eating, but that's true of anything.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love them. The lemon flavor, apple, PB&J, and cherry pie are my favorites. Sounds like I need to try the key lime pie.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is but if it fits into your calories....carry on enjoying them :smile:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The cashew ones are delicious. They're just fruit bars.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They're dried fruit and nuts, so I'm not sure why they would get "mixed reviews" (unless someone is opposed to one or both of those foods).

If you like them and they fit into your calorie/nutritional goals, I'm not sure why you need to listen to what anyone else has to say about them.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I love them, but they make me hungrier. I could eat a box of them no problem.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I assume the main criticism of larabars is sugar, since everyone likes to demonize sugar (regardless of the source) these days. I personally think the date flavor is a bit too strong in larabars for my tastes, but I don''t see anything wrong with them if you like them.