Why am I gaining weight?

Options
Ok so here’s the deal. I woke up and weighed myself Wednesday morning and I was 162. By bedtime I had started my period and weighed 167. That was an unusual jump for me even given the situation. But I figured I’d wait until it was over to weigh myself again. It ended yesterday and today I woke and weighed myself and I was 168. I’m horrified and I’ve stuck to my 1200 calories through it all and increased exercise. So explain to me how this happened or what could be wrong? What do I do??? Very discouraged because I’ve worked hard to get from 222lbs to this. 6lbs is a lot of hard work that I worked hard to get off.

Replies

• kimberley1975mfp
    kimberley1975mfp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do have some excessive stress in my life right now. Never thought that could affect weight I guess. Thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ok so here’s the deal. I woke up and weighed myself Wednesday morning and I was 162. By bedtime I had started my period and weighed 167. That was an unusual jump for me even given the situation. But I figured I’d wait until it was over to weigh myself again. It ended yesterday and today I woke and weighed myself and I was 168. I’m horrified and I’ve stuck to my 1200 calories through it all and increased exercise. So explain to me how this happened or what could be wrong? What do I do??? Very discouraged because I’ve worked hard to get from 222lbs to this. 6lbs is a lot of hard work that I worked hard to get off.

My period ended on Tuesday and the water weight from it just came off yesterday. Give your body a little time to catch up!
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You’re never gonna be in a good place mentally whilst you’re weighing yourself four times a day. That’s just not a healthy thing to do and sounds like it’s bordering on obsession. If I were you I’d look towards fixing that issue first.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Its perfectly normal to see a spike on the scales for SEVERAL days after TOM. I can see it stay higher for up to 10 days.
    And I'm not sure why you would weigh yourself at night as well as in the morning, the food you have eaten during the day and which is still being digested will affect the scales. Stick with one time to weigh in.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I recognize weight fluctuations and I know mine because sadly I’m addicted to my scale so I weigh myself about 4 times a day so I can note the usual fluctuations but this is not one I’ve ever experienced before. It’s stressful

You need to stop this crazy weighing obsession :/ Once a day is MORE than enough.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I recognize weight fluctuations and I know mine because sadly I’m addicted to my scale so I weigh myself about 4 times a day so I can note the usual fluctuations but this is not one I’ve ever experienced before. It’s stressful

These fluctuations you're talking about are due to food and water in your stomach (from your daily intake). The fluctuations we are talking about are due to exess water in the tissues. It takes days and weeks to go away. And everyone experiences this. So do you.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, water weight related to TOM.

If you cannot wean yourself from the 4x per day weighing, at least start tracking in an app that shows you the trends (Trend Weight, Libra, Happy Weight) so you can see that you're still losing weight (but it may not be completely linear).
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yeah I do have some excessive stress in my life right now. Never thought that could affect weight I guess. Thanks

Stress affects your weight because your body has hormones that regulate metabolism. Life stress, exercise stress, and even the stress of eating in a deficit affect this. If you've been eating at a deficit for a long time, you might want to check out the diet and refeed thread that's active now. I'll link it in a minute....

Here's your link.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself only once during the morning after using the restroom. Good luck!!
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Start using trendweight.com or a similar app. It's been a sanity saver for me. It will only count 1 measurement per day though, but that's good to wean you off obsessive weighing.

6 pounds you've "put on" in one day is a 21000 cal surplus in fat, so I think it's pretty obvious it's "something else".