Low carb Protine powders and Bars / low carb Advice

Options
Sw: 330
Cw: 305
Gw: 175

Im looking for advice on starting a low carb diet. I have PCOS and my Dr wants me to go Low carb and up my protine and Fats. I was looking at protine Powders and bars and there are So many but I need one that has low carb and Tastes ok. I saw some organic ones I was thinking about trying. I did slim fast once and Gained on it so thats a no. I think Adkins is low carb but not sure. Also if anyone has Tips for low carb Diets that would be awesome.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition or trutein brands for protein powder. Depending on what low carb is for you, I'm not aware of any low-carb protein bars that are decent tasting.
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    iso - zero carb
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do RSP TrueFit 160 cals 12 carb / 8 fiber / 25 protein / 3 fat I look at ratio of net carbs / protein and shoot for lowest number so RSP is a .16. Other good powders Optimum Nutrition Gold .13 ratio, VI-Shape .17

For bars Quest are my staple the hero bars taste way better than their regular ones but don't mind the taste of regular one because I know they have good numbers and can throw one in my pocket and have it ready anytime in the day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Most powders (with the exception of mass gainers) would be low carb - WPIs are generally low/no carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you use a protein powder that is unsweetened, or sweetened with something like stevia, it will be low carb.

I use unsweetened whey in some baking and in my coffee as a whitener. I have a stevia sweetened chocolate protein powder that my kids enjoy.

For resources, the new Atkins book is good. The older 70's version is a bit higher in protein. Both start with very low carb, ketogenic diets, and then add back carbs as it is tolerated. Protein Power is a good low carb high protein book too. Dr Bernstein's a Diabetes Solution is a great book for addressing insulin resistance, like in PCOS. He has many helpful videos too.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group too. They are a very helpful bunch and the stickies have a lot of good info.

Good luck!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I like IsoPure Zero Carb dutch chocolate protein powder mixed with unsweetened almond milk. I think One bars are the best tasting but honestly I'd rather not eat them because they still don't taste GOOD.
  • megbelievesshecan
    megbelievesshecan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm also low carb. I buy the premier protein shakes to hit my protein goals each day. 30 grams of protein and 160 cals. They have less than 3 carbs and only 1 gram of sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others said, most protein powders are low (essentially no) carb. Should not require special low carb ones or be hard to find.

Most bars won't be, depending on what you mean by low carb. Maybe Atkins, I've never checked them. Some will rely on sugar alcohols and lots of fiber to reduce carb count.