Not my first rodeo, but can't seem to make any progress despite my past knowledge.

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have you gone through menopause yet? Perhaps during the stressful situation you mentioned?

Yes, but it had nothing to do with my stressful situations. I've been PM for nearly 10 years now thanks to a couple of different ovarian cysts that got me there earlier than most!

Did you lose weight the last time after menopause as well?

Yep, but that was when I was 1000% disciplined.

Thanks for your reply. The only reason I asked: I found the 2 years surrounding menopause (18 months before and the year after, really) challenging in terms of cravings. It was like 2 years of PMS cravings. I found that I was mindlessly adding a bite here or there..carb cravings in particular, were a bear. And it's easy for those little calories to add up. YMMV, but for me, that period of time was a challenge.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    100 calorie deficit is too little - logging errors/inconsistencies could easily wipe any deficit out which would mean no loss.
    0.5lb loss a week is 250 cals deficit a day, that might be a better aim for you.

^ This. If you're not losing, it's because you're not truly at a deficit.

There's nothing inherently wrong with setting a 100 calorie deficit, but a deficit that small requires extraordinarily accurate tracking and a week's worth of deficit can be wiped out in one unlogged day.

You should increase your deficit to a minimum 250 and work to increase the accuracy of your logging. If you really feel that you can't track meals that your fiancé is cooking, you should do your best to estimate - overestimate if necessary.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    The hypothyroid and menopause are not relevant.

You don't log food consistently, you have too small a deficit, and you are wiping out that tiny deficit with guesstimations and cheat days.

Tighten it up and stick to the 1500-1600 and you'll see results.

I lost my last 15 pounds over a nine month period on 1500 net (older than you, 5'7", hypo and post-menopause) - but I logged everything every day using my food scale and I got some walks in. There were days I was way over calories, but I just kept going. Consistency over time and accuracy are the keys.

I like your assessment.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    100 calorie deficit is too little - logging errors/inconsistencies could easily wipe any deficit out which would mean no loss.
    0.5lb loss a week is 250 cals deficit a day, that might be a better aim for you.

^ This. If you're not losing, it's because you're not truly at a deficit.

There's nothing inherently wrong with setting a 100 calorie deficit, but a deficit that small requires extraordinarily accurate tracking and a week's worth of deficit can be wiped out in one unlogged day.

You should increase your deficit to a minimum 250 and work to increase the accuracy of your logging. If you really feel that you can't track meals that your fiancé is cooking, you should do your best to estimate - overestimate if necessary.

Agreed. Being off by 100 calories is extremely easy to do. All it takes is choosing one slightly inaccurate MFP database entry.

I purposefully set my calorie goal a bit lower because I know those little screwups can add up quickly.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was first here in 2012 or so. Started like every other newbie with 1200 calories/day. I eventually lost most of the weight that I wanted to, though it took a good year and a half/two years to do so. I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pounds and during most of that time I was exercising a lot (all cardio). As time went on, I stopped being so disciplined and gained about half of it back.

In late 2015/early 2016 I experienced two very difficult life events. The second was also a very stressful situation and during that time (~4 months) I ate very little. Very quickly I dropped down to a low of 129 pounds.

After things calmed down, I just stopped caring about most things. I drank a lot and ate a lot, mostly empty carbs (like pastas and breads). Got up to an all time high of around 166-167.

As of mid-January I decided enough was enough. Got back on here and started logging. I’m eating less and eating better. I’ve cut the drinking back to a reasonable once, sometimes twice a week.

And of course, two months in, I’m seeing no real results. I’ve seen the scale go as low as 163 but then the next week I can easily be pushing 167, which is a bit higher than where I started in January. As far as I’m concerned my weight has simply been fluctuating between 166 & 163 this entire time and I've essentially lost no real fat.

So here are some specifics about me:

• I’m female, 5’7”, almost 51.
    • According to www.iifym.com my TDEE is 1600 so I’ve had my daily goal set at 1500.
    • I’m mostly sedentary and haven’t yet incorporated exercise into my routine.
    • Issues that might affect weight loss are: hypothyroidism, I’m post-menopausal, and I’ve been
    on the nicotine patch for the past 3 weeks (quitting smoking).
    • I don’t log all days but I do on most. On the days I don’t log I’m sure I go over 1500 cals but I
    don’t go completely overboard either.
    • I wear a Fitbit and MFP deducts for my daily steps, but I don’t eat those calories back.

Now I absolutely know there is more I can do. I can log everyday. I can start exercising, preferably weight training as well as cardio.

However, I really thought I would see more of a drop over the past 2 months than I have considering where I was (LOTS of calories, LOTS of crap food, and LOTS of wine) to where I’ve been (LESS food, LESS calories, and a LOT less wine).

So what gives?!?

You have dropped your calorie intake to maintenance level even though you are eating and drinking less.
    You have a small deficit though and are not logging every day. You are wiping out it out on the days you don't log and go over. You only have to overeat or drink 700 calories a week. That is not hard to do if you go over by a couple hundred a few days a week.

I would increase your deficit and log every day. Drop to about 1350-1400 calories or start exercising regularly.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Set your weekly weightloss goal to less than 1% of your body weight. Use a food scale, log everything every day, use valid food database entries, hit your calorie target every day. Weigh yourself regularly, be patient, trust the process.

I probably should have added that when I *do* log I do use a food scale, I log all solids & liquids, and use valid entries (most often I scan barcodes).
    That's great! Just be aware that scanning and barcodes is not a guarantee that the entry is valid, you still have to doublecheck it against the food label. And you have to log every day, or else it's no use.

I would log every day, but I don't cook for myself every day. Weekends are spent with my fiancee and he does a lot of the cooking. There's no reasonable way that I can attempt to log when he cooks. The "last" time...when I was so successful...I was single and making ALL of my own meals.

In these cases, I choose restaurant equivalents.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    This might be an unpopular answer, but if you know what you need to do/eat to get where you need to be--and I bet you do--then you might want to try dieting techniques that kill your cravings. Because it sounds like you have the best intentions, start following a plan, and then that all sort of unravels...if you're like me, that's because a cookie or an extra helping just kept calling your name. I recently switched to Keto. It is working for me because I am almost never hungry due to the protein/fats and the lack of carbs has really just turned off that part of my brain that thinks...stress...boredom...let's eat. I am not an expert in Keto by any means, but believe the impact it has on hunger and cravings suppression makes it a good fit if you find you can't stick to other approaches that require more mental discipline.

I was going to offer up a similar but opposite unpopular idea for the same reasons: WFPB. Keeps me full and satisfied. I’m also 5-7, 52, but a bit more active
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Set your weekly weightloss goal to less than 1% of your body weight. Use a food scale, log everything every day, use valid food database entries, hit your calorie target every day. Weigh yourself regularly, be patient, trust the process.

I probably should have added that when I *do* log I do use a food scale, I log all solids & liquids, and use valid entries (most often I scan barcodes).
    That's great! Just be aware that scanning and barcodes is not a guarantee that the entry is valid, you still have to doublecheck it against the food label. And you have to log every day, or else it's no use.

I would log every day, but I don't cook for myself every day. Weekends are spent with my fiancee and he does a lot of the cooking. There's no reasonable way that I can attempt to log when he cooks. The "last" time...when I was so successful...I was single and making ALL of my own meals.

Sure you can. I eat at my parents 2 or 3 times a week and log those meals. Hang out with him in the kitchen to see what food he's using. Eyeball portions. It won't be perfect, but it will be closer than a blank page. I guess you can't ask him to help you?

And I agree that a 100 cal deficit is useless. Even if you were logging 100% perfectly that is just too slow to see your progress. Go for at least a 250 deficit, start trying to log those blank days, and try to move more whenever you can. Good luck!