Weight trending app

Options
Hey guys and gals
Just wondering, when following your weight trending apps, do y all follow week to week, 2 week, or month trends for caloric intake correction?
Thanks,
Dalon

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don't make any changes to my eating habits unless my weight stays outside my maintenance range for more than a few days without a good explanation.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Monthly, because anything less than that won't accurately reflect shifts in water weight for me. Plus, Libra makes it easy to see how much I've lost each month.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I chart my daily weight and food intake on Excel and also chart them on Libra (an Android weight trend app).

Libra gives you a daily report of your weekly, biweekly, monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annual cal consumption trend but it does not give you a trend line as it does for weight. So, I don't find this info very useful on Libra.

However, I chart and track the 7, 25 & 30 day moving ave of the cals consumed and I can run correlations between them and my weight on Excel.

While I find the 7 day moving ave most useful to track weight, I find the 30 day moving ave most useful to track caloric intake because it reduces the variability of the measurement and correlates best w/chanes in weight.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use Libra. Helps to see the bigger (and for now hopefully smaller) picture ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily and look at the monthly trend.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm fascinated that I can control my weight so smoothly, effortlessly, even without counting calories.

I know, me too!! :smiley: I don't count calories either any more, but deep down I still have a very good inkling of my daily calorie consumption. I love that I can maintain my weight easily. :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals
    Just wondering, when following your weight trending apps, do y all follow week to week, 2 week, or month trends for caloric intake correction?
    Thanks,
    Dalon

For purposes of making a food intake / volume of activity correction I like the idea of trendweight's 5lb goal weight range.

There is little question in my mind that starting from a centered position a 2.5lb swing either way in TRENDING weight corresponds to real changes to my energy reserves!

I would note that, in my case, this could easily manifest as a 10lb scale weight swing (very top to very bottom).

So i think that a 5lb TRENDING weight range is appropriate for fairly tight control.

In my case, I believe that a much smaller range would be closer to a choke hold as opposed to awareness and control.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals
    Thanks,
    Dalon

For purposes of making a food intake / volume of activity correction I like the idea of trendweight's 5lb goal weight range.

There is little question in my mind that starting from a centered position a 2.5lb swing either way in TRENDING weight corresponds to real changes to my energy reserves!

I would note that, in my case, this could easily manifest as a 10lb scale weight swing (very top to very bottom).

So i think that a 5lb TRENDING weight range is appropriate for fairly tight control.

In my case, I believe that a much smaller range would be closer to a choke hold as opposed to awareness and control.

5 pounds seems to be a common weight range for folks here. That's what I do as well; I fluctuate between 112 and 117 unless there's something really weird going on. That range takes into account water weight changes that are normal for me. If you routinely see water weight changes of more than 2.5 lb in either direction, yet you're satisfied with your weight trend, then you might just keep a wider maintenance range.