Can’t seem to push through

Options
Has any of you ever cried at the gym or passed out out of exhaustion, and felt like complete loser?? I know how I want my body to look, it’s not just about the physical aspect, but I need to be better for my emotional health as well. I just can’t seem to break the cycle, I go to the gym I feel motivated, I workout and feel so tired I end up giving up and I having to start all over again. I want to be constant but it seems like I have a mental block keeping me from achieving my goal. How do you guys do it? Asking for a friend :’(

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Only when I am over doing it.

Did you build up to a routine or try to go all gung ho from one day to the next?

Have you set reasonable goals?

You need to find exercise that reduces your stress, not adds to it! Have you tried yoga?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Working out until you're losing consciousness doesn't sound healthy, sustainable, or pleasant. Have you seen a doctor to rule out underlying health problems? Once that is addressed, sounds like you might want a more reasonable fitness plan.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for your workouts?

Outside of wanting your body to look a certain way, what are your fitness goals?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Has any of you ever cried at the gym or passed out out of exhaustion, and felt like complete loser?? I know how I want my body to look, it’s not just about the physical aspect, but I need to be better for my emotional health as well. I just can’t seem to break the cycle, I go to the gym I feel motivated, I workout and feel so tired I end up giving up and I having to start all over again. I want to be constant but it seems like I have a mental block keeping me from achieving my goal. How do you guys do it? Asking for a friend :’(

1) Are you fueling yourself enough for the kind of excercise you are doing at the gym? What kind of foods do you support your excercise and your daily activity with?

2) What do you do for excercise at the gym? Are you working at a safe and adequate level of intensity for your body.

3) Your post seems to indicate you could be depressed? Have you considered seeing a counselor, talked to your dr. about your struggles. Consider DBT therapy. Do you have enough support from people around You? Be kind to yourself above all. You have to be your best supporter.

Consider opening your diary so you can get insight from the mfp members.

Answering the questions asked here may lead to insights. You can do this. !
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

1) Are you fueling yourself enough for the kind of excercise you are doing at the gym? What kind of foods do you support your excercise and your daily activity with?

2) What do you do for excercise at the gym? Are you working at a safe and adequate level of intensity for your body.

3) Your post seems to indicate you could be depressed? Have you considered seeing a counselor, talked to your dr. about your struggles. Consider DBT therapy. Do you have enough support from people around You? Be kind to yourself above all. You have to be your best supporter.

Consider opening your diary so you can get insight from the mfp members.

Answering the questions asked here may lead to insights. You can do this. !

I also agree that you should get checked out by a dr to rule out medical causes that could be making you feel extremely exhausted with mood changes. Could be something like hypoglycemia, eating disorders, dehydration, etc.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Honestly, I've been amazingly happy with the results I've gotten from only pushing myself a little bit at a time. I've stayed motivated by keeping my goals achievable, celebrating my successes, and learning from my failures. There's no one right way to get in shape, and you don't have to go from zero to 100 all at once. Try giving your current default level of fitness a good, honest evaluation, and then picking a goal that's just a step or two up from what you're doing right now. Maybe that's walking another 10-30 minutes a day. Make it something you enjoy, whatever it is. It sounds like you're only doing what you're doing because you think you have to, but I'm sure there are other ways to a healthier and better looking body that what you're doing right now.

Ideally, you'll want to be doing some sort of cardio and some sort of strength training, but the options for both of those are almost unlimited. And starting small doesn't mean you won't feel or see the physical or mental benefits you're looking for. When I started focusing on fitness, I just made sure to walk or *very slowly* jog for 15 minutes every morning. Believe me, it made a huge difference in my energy levels and my mental health. Plus, it's hard to say no to 15 minutes, right? You can absolutely make those changes you want, just maybe not all at once.

PS. If one of your goals is to lose weight (I can't tell from your post), you may be undermining yourself by exercising to exhaustion. Yes, a brutal hour-long workout can burn a lot of calories (although maybe not as many as you think), but if you're so tired that you lie around for the rest of the day, you're cutting into those calories you could be burning running errands, doing chores, playing with your family, and so on. There are a lot more waking hours in the day than the ones you spend working out. I really believe that a good workout should energize you more than exhaust you, especially if you're trying to lose weight.
  • kittykatpainting8
    kittykatpainting8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've worked out to the point of passing out in the bathroom twice (got two goose eggs on my head from it). Now I listen to my body and when I feel sick, I stop and slowly walk it off. You just have to listen to yourself and take it easy :smile:
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that maybe the problem isn't with your body but with you mind?
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Have a doctor check you out passing out while working out is never good even feeling light headed is bad. I'm a diabetic and I've been there if my sugar drops too fast I drop also so must stay aware and slow down from time to time, and even eat a carb while working out is not a sin. Your body is telling you what to do must listen to it or it will force you to listen to it when the paramedics come to pick you up.