Options
2»

Replies

• nice_heathery
    nice_heathery Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Got to say, I'm quite sure that a muffin, a scone, and a coffeecake have more calories than the bread you're trying to avoid.

What are you talking about? I’m trying to avoid muffins and scones and coffeecakes, not “the bread”. Those are the ones that I’m craving and I am aware that buying them wasnt a healthy choice. That’s why I sought for help. Sorry that the language was misleading. Yes, I mean pastries.

Everyone has different approaches and different methods that work for them based on their previous experiences with food. I meant to say that pastries are my trigger foods and once I start eating them I seem to lose control. I appreciate your advice.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Got to say, I'm quite sure that a muffin, a scone, and a coffeecake have more calories than the bread you're trying to avoid.

What are you talking about? I’m trying to avoid muffins and scones and coffeecakes, not “the bread”. Those are the ones that I’m craving and I am aware that buying them wasnt a healthy choice. That’s why I sought for help. Sorry that the language was misleading. Yes, I mean pastries.

Everyone has different approaches and different methods that work for them based on their previous experiences with food. I meant to say that pastries are my trigger foods and once I start eating them I seem to lose control. I appreciate your advice.

But are you also avoiding actual bread? That's why the title of your thread is I think making this confusing.

If you have cut out bread and other higher carb foods, it's possible lower carb isn't best for you and your body asking for any carbs NOW is causing you to crave calorie dense carbs like muffins and scones.

If the only thing you've cut out is pastries and you are craving pastries, try to avoid bakeries and maybe some lower cal versions will help - like Fiber One brownies and cakes or something similar. I also tend to have a donut with my breakfast after a long weekend hike, I have extra calories to spend and knowing I can have one every once and awhile keeps me from feeling deprived.
  • nice_heathery
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

But are you also avoiding actual bread? That's why the title of your thread is I think making this confusing.

If you have cut out bread and other higher carb foods, it's possible lower carb isn't best for you and your body asking for any carbs NOW is causing you to crave calorie dense carbs like muffins and scones.

If the only thing you've cut out is pastries and you are craving pastries, try to avoid bakeries and maybe some lower cal versions will help - like Fiber One brownies and cakes or something similar. I also tend to have a donut with my breakfast after a long weekend hike, I have extra calories to spend and knowing I can have one every once and awhile keeps me from feeling deprived.

No, I have not cut out bread. I eat sufficient amount of carbs everyday. I eat sandwiches, ezekiel bread, toast... it’s just the pastries I’m talking about. Sorry about the misleading title. I meant to say pastries. I wish I can change the thread title. Thanks for your advice @kimny72! That’s really helpful.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

No, I have not cut out bread. I eat sufficient amount of carbs everyday. I eat sandwiches, ezekiel bread, toast... it’s just the pastries I’m talking about. Sorry about the misleading title. I meant to say pastries. Thanks for your advice @kimny72! That’s really helpful.

Sure. I always have a box of Fiber One brownies in the pantry, they are 90 cals and pretty yummy, especially with a cup of coffee or tea. I don't ever go to Starbucks or inside a Dunkin Donuts because I can't smell all those treats without getting one. I get my coffee at the drive through window instead!
  • nice_heathery
    edited March 2018
    Options
    To clarify:

Sorry for the misleading title and language. I mean PASTRIES, not bread!

I'm eating bread just fine. I eat sandwiches, toasts, ... normally! It's just the pastries.
    Pastries are my nemesis, my trigger food.
    Again, thanks for all your advice!
    The cravings are gone, and I’m back on track.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    To clarify:

Sorry for the misleading title and language. I mean PASTRIES, not bread!

I'm eating bread just fine. I eat sandwiches, toasts, ... normally! It's just the pastries.
    Pastries are my nemesis, my trigger food.
    Again, thanks for all your advice!
    The cravings are gone, and I’m back on track.

Ok yeah I hear you. I love baked goods. The one thing that helps me is ask myself exactly WHAT pastry I'm craving, and if I can't decide, it means I'm not really craving it that much - does that make sense? In my experience, when I have a vague craving, it's when I tend to eat too much, because what I eat won't really satisfy me... When I crave something specific (typically an eclair, a croissant or a donut), it is more satisfying and I make it fit though (or try. Typically it means I'm going to be hungry later).

I've been wanting to go to my favorite bakery in the morning... but I keep asking myself 'what will I get there?'. And I don't really know... so I don't go, because I'd rather save the calories for something I REALLY want. But yeah, I've done the 'go to the bakery and buy 3 things' before too (that being said, I wouldn't spend my calories on Starbucks stuff either).